• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon update 4.1.2 battery drain and radio issues???

djcs219

Nov 14, 2011
Central NJ
Since upgrading to the new 4.1.2 Verizon update, I've seen some of the worst battery life issues ever. Nothing has been changed app wise so I can't figure it out. Another issue I'm seeing is the radios aren't pulling in 4G as much as they were before and they are bouncing from 4G to 3G. Has anyone had similar issues and can possibly offer a solution? Verizon wants me to do a factory reset. :-(

Would appreciate any help.

How do you turn on the haptic feedback? I did a factory reset and the battery still is awful. Any suggestions about what to do?

There must be something running in the background that may be causing the device to stay awake despite the screen being off or entering sleep mode. Try an app like GSAM to see what app might be causing the issue.

The other issue could be signal strength. If there is a weak signal, the battery will be drained much quicker as the device is struggling to keep a connection with the network. But you would feel some heat being generated from the device if this occurs as well.

Upvote 0
How do you turn on the haptic feedback? I did a factory reset and the battery still is awful. Any suggestions about what to do?

To turn off haptic feedback, go to Settings => Sound, then scroll down to the "System section" and uncheck "haptic feedback."

On the factory reset front, I too had significantly bad battery life post update, but the factory reset did the trick for me. Out of curiosity, how did you perform the reset? Did you go through the Android Recovery Console or did you use the reset option from within the Settings menu? I ask only because it seems that going through the Recovery Console is much more effective than going through the Settings menu.

Upvote 0
OK, this has been driving me crazy as well, but not as much noticeable because I was on zerolemon battery. Now I switched back to stock, and it really is draining more battery than usual with exactly the same optimized stock setting I have.

Here is what I did to "fix" that. Click Menu -> Manage Apps -> Running tab. After 4.1.2 update there is a least half a dozen of new background services running in there that come up every time you reboot the phone. Go in and close ("stop") whatever doesn't look familiar to you. Don't worry, if its something that's required - it will restart again once system calls it in the background. Before I had those running, I saw battery dropping about 2% per hour in idle mode. Now, I had my phone idle (actually I have been checking emails) for the last 3+ hours and it only dropped 2%, and I'm sure it would have been down to 1% if I wouldn't be checking emails. That's how it used to be before. So for sure with a new update we got some new system processes running in the background, chewing up battery life. And these are difficult to pin point because it's not a specific app or app setting.

Just keep in mind, once you reboot your phone - everything will be back up and you will have to go back and stop it manually.

Upvote 0
Since I purchased the 4100 Milliamperes battery that nests in the stock battery compartment on Ebay I have been going strong from 5:00 a.m and now going to bed at 9:50 p.m with 45 % remaining. I spent 6 hours on the Harley today with the Bluetooth on linked to my Bluetooth headset playing music and whatnot!

I happy...👍

Upvote 0
Since I purchased the 4100 Milliamperes battery that nests in the stock battery compartment on Ebay I have been going strong from 5:00 a.m and now going to bed at 9:50 p.m with 45 % remaining. I spent 6 hours on the Harley today with the Bluetooth on linked to my Bluetooth headset playing music and whatnot!

I happy...👍

Do you mean you got 4100 mAh battery from eBay the size of stock 3100 mAh oem battery and it last longer than stock battery? I'm sorry to disagree with you, but it will be impossible since you can't physically fit bigger cell size in original footprint and almost every HK "gold" ebay battery claiming 4100mAh/4200mAh was tested to be around 2000mAh capacity. Do you have a link or a picture of that battery? I'm not questioning the fact you got this battery, I just find it next to impossible to believe it will offer capacity higher or equal to stock.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones