• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Verizon Update--How Do You Remove the Reminder?

A temporary solution: long-press the update item in the drop-down menu until "App Info" pops up. Click on that, then click Force Stop. That will close the update reminder until your next reboot. I will do this until I get enough time to research rooting.

Thanks. If it works until a reboot, that will be great since I seldom reboot.

Upvote 0
It did not affect my Google Maps. I still have the arrow navigation icon.

I'm not sure what you mean by the navigation icon, but are you familiar with the differences between the old and new version?

Can you toggle between a close up and wide view by hitting a round button at the bottom left the the screen? That's the old version.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This update is detailed here:

Verizon Galaxy S4 updated with Optical Reader, bug fixes | Android Central

It did not affect my Google Maps. I still have the arrow navigation icon.

My wife just accidentally updated her phone, which was bought at the same time and is identical to mine except for color. She now is stuck with the new version of Google Maps/Navigation. The arrow navigation icon is still there, but it brings up the PoS Ver. 7 of Google Maps/Navigation. :mad:

But hey, at least now I know for sure! :D

Upvote 0
I figured out a solution for Root users -

1. The update is saved in /cache/fota - it's named update.zip
2. Backup SDM with Titanium or Rom Toolkit and then freeze it or delete it. SDM is the program that actually notifies you about the update

Thanks! Let's hope this works permanently. I rooted and bought Titanium just to delete this stupid update!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones