• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Users: Moto X Feedback

Thank you all for the information. I'm still on the fence, but moving closer. It has been a few years since my phone "worked' and it is kind of hard to let go. I've been asking about the battery temp, because the 5C stays fairly cool. It got the warmest when using navigation, but even that wasn't much.

On the note of the battery. I know that iFixIt gave the Moto X a high score for repairability, but do we know where replaceable batteries are, if I want to upgrade it?

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Thank you all for the information. I'm still on the fence, but moving closer. It has been a few years since my phone "worked' and it is kind of hard to let go. I've been asking about the battery temp, because the 5C stays fairly cool. It got the warmest when using navigation, but even that wasn't much.

On the note of the battery. I know that iFixIt gave the Moto X a high score for repairability, but do we know where replaceable batteries are, if I want to upgrade it?

Everyone has their own experience and needs in a phone. For me, I have never been happier than with my moto x. I also had a Galaxy Nexus. While it was a nice phone I always found myself wanting more and battery life was horrific and there was a noticable lag.

Everyone I know wants my moto x. I happily pass it around. There is a feel to it that people instantly fall in love with. I have tried to break it by loading up as many apps as I can...memory hogs...and it has never shown a lag...ever. I consistantly get 16-18 hours on a single charge with the same use and environment that produced 6 hours on my GNex (usually 40-50% screen on time)...I actually use my moto x more because it does "just work" and it's fun to try and play the game of how quick can I drain this battery. I have not been disappointed at all.

As an added bonus, the motorola support team is very active on google+ and they are constantly answering questions and asking users...real life people like us...how they can make the experience better. I swore I would never own another motorola product again. Google has googlified motorola and it has been an amazingly productive and pleasant experience...I wont go back to anyone else.

Yes, I feel that strongly.

Reactions: JavaS and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
It really is amazing how many people moved from the Gnex to this phone. And to be honest, its liked improved the reviews of this phone. lol. Isn't the Gnex two years old now?

I love the phone, but the people who RAVE about this phone the most are the Gnex users. Mainly because...that phone sucked. And to upgrade to this phone is night and day. Other people, who migrated from newer phones, I feel need to give their opinion more.

People need to double check who is saying "Best phone ever" or "my battery last 3 times as long" cause if you are not coming from a Gnex, these things just don't add up sometimes. I have seen a couple people come from an S4, and they were wondering why people are so in love with the phone. Or people who are moving from phones a year ago (iphone 5, galaxy S3, Note II, etc).

Anyway, the point I am making is, do your research, and remember this phone is far from perfect, but its a nice phone. :) Do be afraid to ask questions about people who are talking about this phone.

Reactions: JavaS
Upvote 0
I switched from a Razr HD to the X. I like the display, I like the speed, I love they way it feels in my hand, I love the active notifications. I'm honestly not overly impressed with the battery, it's no better than the Razr, may be a smidgen worse. Not complaining about it, but I'm not getting killer battery life. It's certainly doable and does last a full day but I was hoping for more somehow.

Upvote 0
Everyone has their own experience and needs in a phone. For me, I have never been happier than with my moto x. I also had a Galaxy Nexus. While it was a nice phone I always found myself wanting more and battery life was horrific and there was a noticable lag.

Everyone I know wants my moto x. I happily pass it around. There is a feel to it that people instantly fall in love with. I have tried to break it by loading up as many apps as I can...memory hogs...and it has never shown a lag...ever. I consistantly get 16-18 hours on a single charge with the same use and environment that produced 6 hours on my GNex (usually 40-50% screen on time)...I actually use my moto x more because it does "just work" and it's fun to try and play the game of how quick can I drain this battery. I have not been disappointed at all.

As an added bonus, the motorola support team is very active on google+ and they are constantly answering questions and asking users...real life people like us...how they can make the experience better. I swore I would never own another motorola product again. Google has googlified motorola and it has been an amazingly productive and pleasant experience...I wont go back to anyone else.

Yes, I feel that strongly.

It's awesome to hear this kind of feedback, thanks.

I'm still on my VZW GNex, and as noted by nearly everybody I know who has or has ever owned one, it's a dying phone. The battery life and radios were always horrible, but now mine doesn't always want to charge, turns the screen on at random (further draining the battery), and reboots itself at least once a day.

I'm due for an upgrade on VZW, and have also thought about switching carriers even though I know VZW offers by far the best reception around here. If I stay with VZW I've been torn between the X and the Maxx. I like the feel of the X and I can't stand the thought of going back to capacitive buttons, but that battery life still draws me to the Maxx. I don't need 2 days worth, I just want to know that I can take it off the charger, go through my daily routine, and typically still have enough battery to get home with it.

It sounds like, from these real world reports that this phone does seem to provide most users enough battery to get through the day. Coming from a GNex that I never know if I'll get more than 4-5 hours with that would be a nice upgrade.

Reactions: MoPhoMan
Upvote 0

I have the Droid Maxx, which is similar to the X but has a larger battery, display, etc.

Navigation on the Maxx is the same as you report for the 5C - it gets slightly warm, but not hot to the touch, as it used to with my older phones. I don't use Navigation often, but I was using it yesterday for a little while (about 20 minutes) with the phone in my hand (my wife was driving) and the phone felt as it normally does - not any hotter at all.

I think that the 5c is a great phone - my daughter has one. There are one or two things about Android that I take advantage of that iOS cannot do (namely, backing up text messages to Gmail and capturing phone call logs into a Google calendar, both using an app called SMS Backup+). Also, I have a Droid Maxx, which has a battery that I just don't have to worry about anymore. But if I had bought a 5c already, which has a fantastic phone camera compared with the X, a fantastic display compared with the X, and returning it required a restocking fee, and you took advantage of the "glitch" to keep unlimited data, which you will probably not be able to do if you return the 5c and get an X - I'd keep the 5c, without even thinking twice about it.

Reactions: JavaS
Upvote 0
It really is amazing how many people moved from the Gnex to this phone. And to be honest, its liked improved the reviews of this phone. lol. Isn't the Gnex two years old now?

I love the phone, but the people who RAVE about this phone the most are the Gnex users. Mainly because...that phone sucked. And to upgrade to this phone is night and day. Other people, who migrated from newer phones, I feel need to give their opinion more.

People need to double check who is saying "Best phone ever" or "my battery last 3 times as long" cause if you are not coming from a Gnex, these things just don't add up sometimes. I have seen a couple people come from an S4, and they were wondering why people are so in love with the phone. Or people who are moving from phones a year ago (iphone 5, galaxy S3, Note II, etc).

Anyway, the point I am making is, do your research, and remember this phone is far from perfect, but its a nice phone. :) Do be afraid to ask questions about people who are talking about this phone.

So apparently the folks at CNN Money have not tried a phone in two years either =)

Moto X is the best Android phone - Oct. 8, 2013

Upvote 0
The Galaxy Nexus on VZW had notoriously poor radios, and it was one of the bigger downsides to the device, impacting both battery life and creating heat. In my experiences, Motorola makes devices with better radios, and the Moto X is no exception.

Not that I'm going to defend my GNex's radio. It is bad, but it was/is way better then the radio my Droid X had.

Upvote 0
Not that I'm going to defend my GNex's radio. It is bad, but it was/is way better then the radio my Droid X had.
that actually may be pretty accurate.
however
the DX was a 3G device and the Gnex was 4G
i had both dx and gnex and the gnex signal was horrid compared to other peoples.

this is in comparison with a dx that was on solid 3G and the Gnex had about 2 bars of 4G.

the Moto X however signal on this device put my old HTC DNA to shame.
I love the build quality of this phone.
my only complaint about the build quality is the back is really slick.
I am hoping the Verizon camera update comes soon.

Upvote 0
I hadn't seen anyone complain about the back being slick before on the X. The absence of the camera update on Verizon to date is just another reason I'm really thinking of leaving my unlimited data behind for AT&T and a N5.

well i tell ya the back is very slick, but other than that i love this phone, even without the update it is still great.
when my son is born and the camera quality is shoddy i will then be upset
It's really slick, at least for me. I put a case on, which I normally don't do, just because of that. I have developer edition and it has the slippery white back. I did mention it somewhere...

yes i also have the white woven color and slick is putting it nicely.

Upvote 0
yes i also have the white woven color and slick is putting it nicely.

Like I said, I never use a case but felt I needed one to make it more grippy! I honestly don't know how anyone at Motorola thinks that is a good design. It looks nice but it's like trying to hold an ice cube that's been basted in butter! It's too darn slickery.

Upvote 0
Nice device but the camera is terrible. Hopefully Verizon will push out its ota soon. I really liked the device and it is buttery smooth with decent battery life. A nice camera is important to me and for that reason I stuck with my S4.

the battery life on this device is insane...
it isn't like the maxx or anything but it has amazing battery life to be what it is.

the camera is pretty bad, in the sunlight it is amazing... like they all are, but if you need to use the flash, it sucks.

Upvote 0
I hadn't seen anyone complain about the back being slick before on the X. The absence of the camera update on Verizon to date is just another reason I'm really thinking of leaving my unlimited data behind for AT&T and a N5.

You would be CRAZY to do that. I never want to give up my unlimited plan. For what? Waiting a few weeks for a little camera update? If you care that much about the camera to where you would give up unlimited data then you really didn't pick the right phone.

Upvote 0
unlimited data is not exactly needed by anyone.

people who use their phones to play with their friends on xbox live are really the only ones that would need it.
but realistically most people would use around 4 gigs of data a month, i barely use 1 gig but i also have wifi wherever i go. my sister was using 4gigs or more a month, and we could not figure out why.

Upvote 0
If your 4GLTE is faster then your college internet. Its worth it.

If you use the hotspot feature to give internet to your computer, tablet etc in the car, its useful. (especially not having to buy data versions of tablets)

If you need internet that doesn't have filters and restrictions on it. Its worth it.

Just out of principle, its worth it. Since if I switched plans I would be paying MORE for less

There are many reasons why unlimited data is amazing. True, I don't HAVE to have it. But I sure do get a lot more features from my phone with it.

Upvote 0
If your 4GLTE is faster then your college internet. Its worth it.

If you use the hotspot feature to give internet to your computer, tablet etc in the car, its useful. (especially not having to buy data versions of tablets)

If you need internet that doesn't have filters and restrictions on it. Its worth it.

Just out of principle, its worth it. Since if I switched plans I would be paying MORE for less

There are many reasons why unlimited data is amazing. True, I don't HAVE to have it. But I sure do get a lot more features from my phone with it.

while i can understand what you mean, it is still a customer satisfaction to have unlimited high speed data, if there was no high speed data you would welcome the college wifi, regardless of how slow it is.
if you were on a family share plan you would be paying less for less.
if you were a single guy/girl and money was an issue, you would take the cheapest amount possible, or you wouldn't have a smart phone.

Upvote 0
while i can understand what you mean, it is still a customer satisfaction to have unlimited high speed data, if there was no high speed data you would welcome the college wifi, regardless of how slow it is.
if you were on a family share plan you would be paying less for less.
if you were a single guy/girl and money was an issue, you would take the cheapest amount possible, or you wouldn't have a smart phone.

If my family switched to the share everything plan, our price goes up and the data goes down.

At the expense of higher battery drain, though.

Used in my room and the phone is plugged in.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones