[Verizon] Verizon forced update I535VRLG7

Last Updated: 2012-09-30 23:26:13
  1. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

If you are running a stock rom, rooted, unlocked/locked bootloader with stock recovery, you will lose the ability to unlock the bootloader if you accept the update.

If you haven't received the update you can do several things to prevent the update from flashing successfully:

1) Load an alternative recovery like TWRP on your device. Having an alternate recovery on your device practically guarantees any stock OTA software will fail to install.

2) Disable the following system file (SDM 1.0) via Titanium Backup's Freeze option, or use Root Explorer to rename the file name in /System/App to SDM 1.0.bak

Advertisement
    Rolo42, MIAtrix, 9to5cynic and 6 others like this.
  2. xliderider

FYI, received the OTA update last night and woke up to TWRP recovery's main screen. I was nervous about rebooting the device because I hadn't disabled the SDM 1.0 file prior to the forced update, so I was going to restore my backup from 8/30/12 to be safe.

However, I took the chance that having TWRP as an alternate recovery would cause the backup to fail. So I rebooted the device and it booted up fine, and immediately displayed a pop-up window that the update failed. Then I immediately froze the SDM 1.0 file with Titanium Backup.
  3. Droid.Incredible

Droid.Incredible Well-Known Member

Same deal here. Glad it failed.
  4. Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge Well-Known Member

I haven't even got a notification for it, I'm stock unrooted... Used to root all my Motorola phones... Don't want to lose my warranty yet, by rooting and unlocking but I wanted to retain the option to do so in the future.. I checked for updates just now and it's there but it hasn't tried to download/or install itself yet...Is there anything I can do to keep my stock phone from automatically taking it...
  5. Raw Dodge

This is where I rejected the update
    , I hope this stops it

Attached Files:

6. huffbanger

huffbanger Active Member

Mine just updated and I lost Root! Bastards!
  7. Raw Dodge

Still no auto update for me :D. The only reason maybe is I have every possible system app that I can without root, disabled.
  8. Captain Brick

Captain Brick Well-Known Member

I cant find the SDM file in titanium? I went to batch menu, scrolled down to the freeze/defrost section and looked for it there. No luck.
  9. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

I just looked in System/App for SDM 1.0, and all I see is SDM.APK & SDM.ODEX. Which one needs to be renamed?
  10. xliderider

I would rename them,to something like SDM.BAK and SDM.ODEX.BAK or similar.
  11. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

OK, renamed them SDM.APK.BAK and SDM.ODEX.BAK, guess I'm safe now!
  12. Raw Dodge

Just to be sure ive been shutting off the data /and wifi at night so it can't download and install itself when I'm sleeping.
  13. imneveral0ne

imneveral0ne Well-Known Member

How do you know it'll block your ability to unlock the bootloader? I haven't seen this anywhere else. Maybe I'm just not looking correctly :p.
  14. StillHacking

StillHacking Well-Known Member

Busy weekend, Received the update prompt early Saturday as I was preparing to leave for a camping weekend. Some quick research proved I needed more time. I delayed the update and of course forgot about delaying it again. It failed multiple times and gave up. I'm still at I535VRLF2 and have root. I check for software update and it says I'm up to date. My guess is I froze a few bloatware apps with Titanium Backup and it caused the permanent failure. Now what am I missing from this small update and how will I update to Jelly Bean? I guess I'll wait and eventually flash a stock JB ROM when available. No hurry for me, this is all just a FYI. Good luck out there.

SH
  15. StillHacking

StillHacking Well-Known Member

Also have CWM with ROM Managar as well.
  16. xliderider

I think it was mentioned on xda. Do you really think Verizon would release an update, a really sneaky one at that, and not plug the exploit used to unlock the bootloader? ;)
  17. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Well-Known Member

Running stock rooted ROM. Got the notification moments ago. The phone rebooted, and because I have CWM Touch Recovery installed the update stalled because it said the file was unsigned, and Recovery asked whether I wanted to go ahead and flash the unsigned file. I tapped No, and then the reboot button, and once rebooted the phone reported the update failed. I am renaming the SDM files (mine don't say SDM 1.0 either) in Root Explorer to prevent further attempts to update until the devs look at this update and offer it safely rooted.
  18. Shogun_X

Shogun_X New Member

I was updated and also lost root. I was able to run Adam's Casual Root applet (Verizon-GS3-CASUAL-Revision131a.jar) and all is well again. I'm rooted with the update.
  19. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

But can you unlock the bootloader???
  20. jackdubl

jackdubl Well-Known Member

Yes, how's your bootloader?
  21. tenpin477

tenpin477 Member

Bought the phone on Saturday, came with this update already installed. Phone is rooted, and bootloader is unlocked just fine, currently running Jelly Bean atm.
  22. xliderider

The modem files are available to flash with Odin or CWM/TWRP on xda. Flashed it and it is running fine on my phone with the No Sympathy rom.
  23. TeeX

TeeX Active Member

Anyone know where this update is stored when it's downloaded?

The update was downloaded onto my phone, but I've denied the installation. Where can I navigate to (using root explorer) to delete the OTA update? I'd like to delete it off my phone altogether.
  24. Opivyattack

Opivyattack Well-Known Member

Wow, is this true that the update will break the encrypted bootloader workaround? I haven't had the chance to unlock the bootloader yet and my 6 year old niece must have accepted the update or something because it's on my phone. What can I do at this point??
  25. Rick2179

Rick2179 Well-Known Member