• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Verizon Nexus 4.2.1 - Gmail won't auto-sync and no notifications

breNTx22

Sep 9, 2010
I just upgraded to 4.2.1. So far everything seems fine except gmail won't auto-sync. All of my emails are there but if I receive an email it will not show up on my phone until I manually sync it. If I email myself from my phone I will get the email right away as well as a notification. Sometimes an email will trickle in (I haven't narrowed down why) but when it does I won't get a notification. If it does trickle in it's usually 2-5 minutes after I receive it in gmail webmail.

My friend did the same process and to resolve the issue he wiped the dalvak cache (from the App info window) and then rebooted but this did not work for me. I tried to reflash the GApps file but I have the same issue.

What I've tried:
-Reflashed Gapps. Both from GooManager and Clockworkmod
-Turned auto sync on and off
-Wiped cache and dalvik cache
-Fixed permissions
-Deleted app data

Any ideas?

then you should state that info in the OP and also have this thread moved to the All Things Root section. I'm not trying to be a prick but if you want the most help those are things that need to happen. You can edit your OP if you want by adding that info in or You could post in the thread for that ROM also you can report your own OP and ask that it be moved to the ATR section of the VZW Gnex. :)

Upvote 0
then you should state that info in the OP and also have this thread moved to the All Things Root section. I'm not trying to be a prick but if you want the most help those are things that need to happen. You can edit your OP if you want by adding that info in or You could post in the thread for that ROM also you can report your own OP and ask that it be moved to the ATR section of the VZW Gnex. :)

At that point I had been working on the issue for several hours so I don't recall exactly what I did off the top of my head.

This thread isn't necessarily about rooting so why should it be there?

What about Phone Settings > Google > check to make sure Gmail sync is checked

Yes, the green sync circle is checked. I also clicked on the account and all of the options (browser, calendar, gmail, etc) are checked.

Upvote 0
how did you upgrade? wipe data, cache, etc.?
Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit
Wipe data, cache, dalvik, flash rom, wipe cache/dalvik, get to home screen, test gmail (confirmed it doesn't work), loaded my Android Backup (so I have my apps), open Clockwork, download/install Gapps.

did you upgrade from a previous LiquidSmooth ROM?
No.

why do you have TWO recoveries flashed?

is this affecting your other email accounts or just Gmail?

which Gmail version number do you have? if it is a themed one, are there any known issues with it?
How do I find my version number?

Upvote 0
breNTx22, I don't know if it was moved or not, but it is now in the VZW rooted section and this is where it would belong, since our unrooted brethren would know nothing about wiping Dalvik cache, flashing gapps, custom recoveries, custom roms, etc. And as such, they may not even ever have this problem.

Since all the other solutions in this thread were valid ones but have yet to help you out, it actually sounds to me like you should go ahead and try a fresh install of your rom. You _might_ fix it with a 'dirty' flash, but personally, I always like to wipe data and cache in between rom flashes. Although it can be a pain to set your phone back up after this, it seems to just give me much less headaches down the road. So, either try a 'dirty' re flash of your rom and gapps, or boot into recovery, make a nandroid backup, wipe data/cache and perhaps /system, flash rom, flash gapps, reboot and see if that fixes your problem.

good luck

Reactions: trophynuts
Upvote 0
breNTx22, I don't know if it was moved or not, but it is now in the VZW rooted section and this is where it would belong, since our unrooted brethren would know nothing about wiping Dalvik cache, flashing gapps, custom recoveries, custom roms, etc. And as such, they may not even ever have this problem.

Since all the other solutions in this thread were valid ones but have yet to help you out, it actually sounds to me like you should go ahead and try a fresh install of your rom. You _might_ fix it with a 'dirty' flash, but personally, I always like to wipe data and cache in between rom flashes. Although it can be a pain to set your phone back up after this, it seems to just give me much less headaches down the road. So, either try a 'dirty' re flash of your rom and gapps, or boot into recovery, make a nandroid backup, wipe data/cache and perhaps /system, flash rom, flash gapps, reboot and see if that fixes your problem.

good luck

I tried that and unfortunately it didn't work.

However, I think it only happens on "Important" emails in gmail. Gmail had automatically been marking some of my emails as Important so I disabled that and it appears to work much better now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones