• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon voice mail app?

BudDroid

Jan 14, 2011
Seagrove Beach FL
Hi, I just moved to Verizon from Sprint yesterday.

On my Sprint phone, I could open the voice mail app and see a list of all the voice mails that I had - who from, when received, etc. From the list, I could pick a voice mail and either listen, delete, call back, or whatever.

When I click on the Verizon app, it calls voice mail, asks me to enter my PIN, then plays my messages and I have to delete, archive, etc. with number presses. Kinda archaic, not to mention slow.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to do what I was doing on Sprint?

Nope, you're not missing anything, it's just that basic. They do offer a more robust visual voicemail service but I believe there is a monthly fee.

I don't use Verizon's voicemail at all, I use Google Voice instead and love it. There are so many pluses and very few minuses, it's a great tool to have.
It allows you to have visual voicemail (the transcriptions are sometimes priceless), SMS (no MMS - downfall) and another phone number. You can access your voicemail and texts on your laptop/PC or through the (dated) phone app. It's so nice to be able to listen to your voicemails from the laptop. I use my GV number for people/places that I don't want to give my 'real' number to (pizza/online forms etc.), it comes in handy! You don't need a number to use the voicemail piece but I say get one anyway.
There are probably other similar services or just voicemail apps out there, but give
GV a looky.

Reactions: BudDroid
Upvote 0
This is built-in on the iPhone, but with Android, you need the visual voicemail feature, which costs extra.

I was a Sprint user too (with an Android phone), I just recently switched to Verizon & also miss how Sprint's (free) voice mail used to work. It's not an iPhone/Android issue, it's a carrier issue. Verizon does it differently than Sprint.

Upvote 0
There are third party apps that will do what you are looking for. I use YouMail.

Thanks for mentioning youmail, I installed it last week & I really like it, it gives me back the similarity to Sprint voicemail I was missing.

It also came in REALLY handy in the middle of the night last night, some drunk girl called & woke me up asking for her "baby daddy". I told her she had the wrong number but she insisted she didn't, & called back 2 more times before I remembered youmail has an awesome feature... I think it's called the dump list, you can set certain callers to get a message saying the number they called is no longer in service! Awesome :thumbup:

Reactions: Skipdawg
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones