[Verizon] VZW Galaxy Nexus stuck on 4.2.1

1. cycledual

cycledual New Member

Hey all,

I last month I rooted my Verizon Galaxy Nexus, running JB 4.1.1., using the Wugfresh Toolkit. I must say, what a nice product. I later flashed a custom 4.2.1 ROM that included GApps and Wallet. The file name was toro_signed_112712_171079.zip. I believe it was MMuzzy but can't be certain as I was going through a few ROMS I downloaded and this one happen to boot up nicely.

I really like the ROM. There are no problems I've experienced since installing except for one - My computer cannot detect my phone as ADB so I cannot interact with it using the Toolkit or anything to at least get it back to 4.1.1.

I've read many posts and comments and what I get from them is that it seems to be a 4.2.1 issue and not an issue with the particular ROM I used.

Any one else out there experiencing this and knows of a work-around, maybe using CWM, to at least get me back to 4.1.1?

I can get to the factory ROMs but they are either .tar or .tgz files and CWM won't recognize them. It only recognizes .zip files.

I appreciate any guidance from the Phans.

Advertisement
  2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

Hellol cycledual!
    I moved your thread to your device forum here so other folks with your device can help out as they are familiar with it:)
    Thanks and I hope you get your issue resolved:)
  3. TritonDroid

TritonDroid Well-Known Member

I think you can download the 4.1.1 ROM from goomanager.

After that go into recovery factory reset, clear cache and delv cache, then install your ROM.

Someone may need to chime in or you will want to search which gapps package you need as this may need to be installed right after your new ROM.

Also before starting you should back everything up with titanium backup and do a Nandroid backup of current ROM
  4. cycledual

cycledual New Member

The main issue is the ability to connect to my PC. Anyone experience that?

And there have only been a couple roms that actually booted up. Others I've used, for 4.1.1 and 4.2, end up boot-looping no matter if I load using either CWM or TWRP.
  5. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Put the device into fastboot mode and then connect it to the computer. Does it show up in the device manager as an unknown android device or as a adb/bootloader device?
  6. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why you have to connect your phone to your computer to downgrade it.

- Use Titanium Backup or MyBackup Pro to backup your apps or text messages or whatever (if needed)
    - Download a 4.1.1 ROM - any 4.1.1 ROM you want - on your phone (should be .zip format)
    - Reboot into CWM. Do a factory reset, then wipe /system if you want to be thorough
    - Install ROM and boot
  7. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

:) lets not forget to use Scary Aliens Android File Verifier to validate the MD5 of the rom you download on your phone
  8. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

That is true. I think I might have misinterpreted by thinking the OP wanted to go back to stock. It is entirely possible to download everything and then flash in recovery. Only thing you would need to connect to the computer for is to relock the bootloader if you aren't rooted anymore. :eek: