Root [Verizon] What's the difference ?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Nucleus, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Nucleus

Nucleus New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Hey everybody... I'm new and I have some questions. Looking to buy S3. Been reading the forums for a few days ... So here are my 1st questions ... :)

1. Can I buy an S3 from any vendor and root it to run CleanRom, or is that specific to a Verizon S3 phone?

2. Does it matter where I buy the phone?

3. Should I buy already unlocked? (Want to use Boost Mobile)

Thanks all ...

Advertisement

2. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    /home/
    I'm not 100% on this, so perhaps someone will correct me if I'm wrong... but I believe that there is likely a Verizon CleanRom along with one for each carrier. I'm guessing you'd need to do *something* to get your phone to work on boost mobile. I remember there were a few guys doing that kinda thing in the evo root forum, but I'm not sure everything they had to do.

I think the main thing you'd need to know about would be if Boost is CDMA or GSM, I'm pretty sure it's CDMA, but I don't know. You also may want to look into Boost's policy with activating unlocked phones... I think with GSM devices you could just pop in the sim card of an unlocked phone - but I don't know how that'd work on CDMA.

Hope that helps a little bit.
    9to5

3. Captain Brick

Captain Brick Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Stone Mason
    Houston, Tx
    Boost is Sprint. You should get a Sprint S3 then install ROMs specific to Sprint.

4. Nucleus

Nucleus New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Thanks 9to5cynic and Captain Brick, that was a big help. Much appreciated ...

Does this mean that if I want to switch carriers at a later date, that I would have some issues?

Thanks again ...

5. Rolo42

Rolo42 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Male
    Retired Electronics, Computer, Network Engineer
    Greensboro, NC
    Different carriers use different networks which use different hardware, so yes, generally.