• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon will release updates at the same time as Google

Agreed. To me the bootloader isn't a problem. I'm not likely to root my phone or flash it. I used to do it, but now it's not worth the effort to me. Maybe that will change.

While Verizon has said they will do this, I am not convinced. I don't trust Verizon and I don't think Google has the clout to demand things from Verizon the way Apple does. Verizon needs Apple and Google needs Verizon.

My initial thought was to take advantage of the $300 credit, but assuming Verizon gives me a full $300 for my S6 (doubt it), I will only end up saving $56.15 over the course of two years. This is taking into account local sales taxes and cost of insurance over 2 years with Verizon vs paying for device protection via Google Store. Plus, my calculations assume that I'd have to buy a VR headset since "while supplies last" and I qualify for a free one through the Google Store.

While $56 is $56, I don't trust Verizon enough to want to give in so that I can save that money.

Only downside is that it is possible that VoLTE and WiFi Calling may not be supported on non-Verizon-sanctioned devices. I still think I'd rather go through the Google Store.

Upvote 0
Reactions: jj14x and zetroc
Upvote 0
It's good that Verizon says the phone is carrier unlocked, therefore it can be moved to another carrier. It's also good that Verizon says they won't "stand in the way" of updates. However, what really concerns me about Verizon handling the OS updates is what happens to that process if you should decide to move your phone to another carrier? As your phone would no longer be connected to Verizon's network, how would the phone receive its OS updates?

In the articles I've read about the Verizon Pixel phones, nothing has been said about how updates would work if/when the phone were moved to another carrier. I am not so trusting that I would risk presuming that somehow the phone would automatically start receiving its updates directly from Google when it could no longer get them via Verizon. After all, the bootloader is indeed locked.

Reactions: zetroc
Upvote 0
It's good that Verizon says the phone is carrier unlocked, therefore it can be moved to another carrier. It's also good that Verizon says they won't "stand in the way" of updates. However, what really concerns me about Verizon handling the OS updates is what happens to that process if you should decide to move your phone to another carrier? As your phone would no longer be connected to Verizon's network, how would the phone receive its OS updates?

In the articles I've read about the Verizon Pixel phones, nothing has been said about how updates would work if/when the phone were moved to another carrier. I am not so trusting that I would risk presuming that somehow the phone would automatically start receiving its updates directly from Google when it could no longer get them via Verizon. After all, the bootloader is indeed locked.

I'm not exactly sure how that will work out, but past experience suggests that the VZW-branded Pixels may be bound to VZW for updates even if you move them to T-Mobile or AT&T - or even Fi. I'm told that's how it worked for Nexus 6's purchased from AT&T; even after moving to Fi, customers had to re-insert their old inactive AT&T SIM in order to pull down some updates.

Then again, the Nexus 6 was kind of a special case - it remains to be seen how the various carriers will actually handle updates for the Pixels. I wouldn't purchase one from Verizon and just assume that it will get timely updates if you move to another carrier.

Actually, I just wouldn't purchase one from Verizon anyway. Honestly the only real "advantage" would be, as @zetroc found, that Google and Fi's device protection plans won't replace a lost device while Verizon's will.

Reactions: zetroc
Upvote 0
Even though the VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus had an unlockable bootloader, the OTAs were slower and there was a 4.3 update that the GSM models received that the VZW (toro) version never did (we were left with 4.2.2).

Direct from Google = best.

(I'm on T-Mobile now and happy as a clam ;) :) (don't have a Pixel, though))

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones