• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Wireless to store managers: Wednesday (1/26) is a big day

I love my android. But the apps, well... for a 41 year old professional like myself, I think most of them are garbage. Until Android gets mainstream apps, they will be behind in the game. If Android had the same apps, then I wouldn't move.

I agree with you on the state of the apps for Android. I was poking around in the Marketplace last night and it just reminded me of shopping at Big Lots.

Upvote 0
At the same time I have a hard time believing it will be a new mobile device as I cannot see how that would constitute "a big day". I agree with all that have stated they believe it will be Apple related, especially if it is the Tablet. The tablet is new technology that managers and employees alike would really have to get comfortable with before it hit the store floor. I don't mean to rain on the parade and I hope I am wrong, just my .02

Ummm...they simply announce it and then release it in a couple of months. The announcement itself can be considered huge.

I agree with you on the state of the apps for Android. I was poking around in the Marketplace last night and it just reminded me of shopping at Big Lots.

Really? I guess coming from a WinMo phone, I find that the market is just full of very cool stuff. Apple has had a ton of time to perfect their marketplace...I expect Android to trump or at least match Apple very quickly.

Upvote 0
Ummm...they simply announce it and then release it in a couple of months. The announcement itself can be considered huge.

Really? I guess coming from a WinMo phone, I find that the market is just full of very cool stuff. Apple has had a ton of time to perfect their marketplace...I expect Android to trump or at least match Apple very quickly.

Dude... Android has had three years. That's when the G1 came out. It didn't take Apple anywhere close to 3 years.

I'm not bashing your reply, in fact I see that reply a lot. Fact is, the apps are not delivering compared to the iPhone.

Now, compared to every other device, I absolutely agree.

The one guy is dead on... compared to the iphone, it is like shopping at big lots. Generic versions of the real thing that don't work as well.

Upvote 0
iphone has more mainstream apps, such as ESPN, Yahoo fantasy football, Fox News, eTrade, Chase Bank, Directv DVR.. the list goes on. I used to love ordering chipotle with 3 clicks in the car on my way home from work. Call me silly, but the iPhone has the apps most every day people use.

That's why I liked the iPhone when I had it. And I'll get it again if it comes to big red as rumored.

I love my android. But the apps, well... for a 41 year old professional like myself, I think most of them are garbage. Until Android gets mainstream apps, they will be behind in the game. If Android had the same apps, then I wouldn't move.

I think that has a lot to do with Apple's control over the app store. They only allow in what they want and prevent anything else. Google doesn't do any of this, so we will see a lot of junk apps show up. I believe that this "free market" approach will let the great apps rise to the top and garbage sink to the bottom.

You also have to keep in mind that Android is still in its infant stages and until the Hero on Sprint and the Droids on Verizon (released about a month apart) the only Android phones in the US were on T-Mobile. When VZW got the Droids there was about a 6,000 to 7,000 jump in apps in the marketplace. As more phones come out and more people adopt the market will grow and the apps will get better. When Google allows apps on the SD card (rumored for later this year) the quality of apps should grow as well.

Also, Android has not really been marketed at all. If you watch any regular TV for any length of time you will see an iPhone add or product placement. The marketing that Apple has put behind the iPhone is incredible and it makes companies and developers want to put apps on it. Many of the apps you see in the commercials are easily replicated for Android as well as other OSs, but they aren't being created because most people don't even know what Android is. Companies like Pizza Hut will get an app created to custom build a pizza and order it off of an iPhone because they know what it is and they know what it does. Why would they set out to do this for Android when they don't know what it is?

Upvote 0
Dude... Android has had three years. That's when the G1 came out. It didn't take Apple anywhere close to 3 years.

I'm not bashing your reply, in fact I see that reply a lot. Fact is, the apps are not delivering compared to the iPhone.

Now, compared to every other device, I absolutely agree.

The one guy is dead on... compared to the iphone, it is like shopping at big lots. Generic versions of the real thing that don't work as well.

Like I was saying. Marketing Marketing Marketing:D

Upvote 0
didnt the g1 come out 6 months or so after apple launched their app store? Which means the 1st gen iphone was out for another 6mo before that. Not to mention that the g1 was only avaliable on tmobile, which is the smallest carrier in the us (of the big name carriers). I think now that their are android phones on all the major carriers we are going to see a large increase in the quality and number of apps on the market place. For a while there hasnt really been any reason for devs to back android because their apps wouldnt be seen by as many people. All of that is changing now, and quickly.

Well she beat me to it ^

Upvote 0
I think that has a lot to do with Apple's control over the app store. They only allow in what they want and prevent anything else. Google doesn't do any of this, so we will see a lot of junk apps show up. I believe that this "free market" approach will let the great apps rise to the top and garbage sink to the bottom.

You also have to keep in mind that Android is still in its infant stages and until the Hero on Sprint and the Droids on Verizon (released about a month apart) the only Android phones in the US were on T-Mobile. When VZW got the Droids there was about a 6,000 to 7,000 jump in apps in the marketplace. As more phones come out and more people adopt the market will grow and the apps will get better. When Google allows apps on the SD card (rumored for later this year) the quality of apps should grow as well.

Also, Android has not really been marketed at all. If you watch any regular TV for any length of time you will see an iPhone add or product placement. The marketing that Apple has put behind the iPhone is incredible and it makes companies and developers want to put apps on it. Many of the apps you see in the commercials are easily replicated for Android as well as other OSs, but they aren't being created because most people don't even know what Android is. Companies like Pizza Hut will get an app created to custom build a pizza and order it off of an iPhone because they know what it is and they know what it does. Why would they set out to do this for Android when they don't know what it is?

I agree with all of that. In today's current state though, what does Android have over the iPhone in reality?

The new iPhone is said to have multi tasking in 4.0. Yes, Android is open source, but to date that hasn't really meant too much to the normal average smart phone user.

So there in lies the question. If cost of upgrade was not a factor, would you stick with the Droid or move to the Verizon iPhone?

I think my answer is move to the iPhone. I get all my apps back, and when Android catches up, if they catch up in the mainstream, then I would absolutely switch back.

But I tell you, when I did have crap ATT and the iPhone, it was awesome being able to hit MINT and check my budget, click on my directv dvr and record the ballgame I forgot to do when I left the house.. etc... I miss little things like that.

and yes, I realize I can use mint.com or m.directv.com on the android, but it's the simplicity and the speed of the direct app that is just convenient.

This is a great topic. Nice to see a forum where people don't bash other people like other forums.

Upvote 0
I agree with all of that. In today's current state though, what does Android have over the iPhone in reality?

The new iPhone is said to have multi tasking in 4.0. Yes, Android is open source, but to date that hasn't really meant too much to the normal average smart phone user.

So there in lies the question. If cost of upgrade was not a factor, would you stick with the Droid or move to the Verizon iPhone?

I think my answer is move to the iPhone. I get all my apps back, and when Android catches up, if they catch up in the mainstream, then I would absolutely switch back.

But I tell you, when I did have crap ATT and the iPhone, it was awesome being able to hit MINT and check my budget, click on my directv dvr and record the ballgame I forgot to do when I left the house.. etc... I miss little things like that.

and yes, I realize I can use mint.com or m.directv.com on the android, but it's the simplicity and the speed of the direct app that is just convenient.

This is a great topic. Nice to see a forum where people don't bash other people like other forums.

I can't say that I would ever see myself getting an iPhone. I am impressed and amazed by Apple's marketing department, but not really impressed by their products. The restrictive nature of their devices really bothers me and the thought of having to use iTunes for anything makes me a little sick to my stomach.

Upvote 0

Oh...they are out there but I agree.

As for the iPhone...I'm not a fanboy of any phone or brand, I try to get the best of what's out. The reason I chose Android is because I champion open source. I think that it's really gonna come down to preference within about 6 months because like others have said, Android has been out but it hasn't really been "out" until Droid hit the market. The iPhone is just one phone, however Android will be on many handsets. Motorola is coming out with 10 in the first half of this year. With that in mind, I see Android absolutely soaring.

You know, what if someone prefers a trackball or an SD card expansion option, or even a different form factor? Like Verizon says with maps Android will say with phones, "There's a phone for that."

Upvote 0
I can't say that I would ever see myself getting an iPhone. I am impressed and amazed by Apple's marketing department, but not really impressed by their products.
I used to say the same thing... Then my wife played with a co-worker's iPod touch and mentioned that she'd like one as well as getting our son one for Christmas. My wife and I both have Eris phones but they don't come close to the iPod touch in terms of user-friendliness. Mind you, the Eris/Android/Sense is really, really nice, but IMO not as good as the iPod.
...and the thought of having to use iTunes for anything makes me a little sick to my stomach.
I hated iTunes and dreaded having to use it with the touch(es). It's gotten easier to use as I become familiar with it but it still has quirks.

Upvote 0
At the same time I have a hard time believing it will be a new mobile device as I cannot see how that would constitute "a big day".

If it does turn out that Apple announces that Verizon is getting the iPhone tomorrow, I'd guess that store managers may want to know that foot traffic will suddenly include customers eager to upgrade to the iPhone, or switch from AT&T. If it is a new Tablet device (which, to me, is a mobile device as well), which will work on Verizon's network, ditto - people may be flocking to Verizon tomorrow evening to find out more.

(That said, I'm basically just reading but not necessarily believing all of the rumors about what Apple is announcing tomorrow.)

The G1 has been out for about 15 months - not even half three years. It came out on the fourth largest US network as well.

Upvote 0
Bloomberg is reporting that T-Mobile will roll out the iPhone this summer and Verizon will follow up with it in the fall.

EDIT:I would still consider it rumor until tomorrow which is when Bloomberg said Apple will anounce it.

This has been predicted in some form or other for quite some time.

It all reminds me of when, years ago, Prilosec was prescription only and was predicted to go OTC in a few years.

It did go OTC, but by then I'd learned to change my diet in order to do away with heartburn.

Same with the iPhone; I've learned too much about other devices and the iPhone itself to even want it. Android is cool.. Eris is very cool. For me anyway. ;)

Upvote 0
This has been predicted in some form or other for quite some time.

It all reminds me of when, years ago, Prilosec was prescription only and was predicted to go OTC in a few years.

It did go OTC, but by then I'd learned to change my diet in order to do away with heartburn.

Same with the iPhone; I've learned too much about other devices and the iPhone itself to even want it. Android is cool.. Eris is very cool. For me anyway. ;)

Prilosec (omeprazole) 20mg is/was capsule form as a prescription and OTC is tablet. If you still want capsule form you can ask your MD to write for it...FYI.

If you take Omeprazole 20mg --> Take 1 capsule/tablet orally daily 30 minutes before dinner/supper, or 1 capsule/tablet orally 2 times a day 30 minutes before meals as needed. Anything else consult your physician.

Upvote 0
Prilosec (omeprazole) 20mg is/was capsule form as a prescription and OTC is tablet. If you still want capsule form you can ask your MD to write for it...FYI.

If you take Omeprazole 20mg --> Take 1 capsule/tablet orally daily 30 minutes before dinner/supper, or 1 capsule/tablet orally 2 times a day 30 minutes before meals as needed. Anything else consult your physician.

As mentioned in my quoted by you post, there is no need for it, by me.

Same as iPhone, the capsule version or tablet.

Upvote 0
The restrictive nature of their devices really bothers me and the thought of having to use iTunes for anything makes me a little sick to my stomach.
Exactly. I personally can't stand Apple and their controlling ways, not to mention I had an iPod that turned into a paperweight in less than a year and Apple refused to do anything about it. I'm not complaining, just stating fact and as such I choose to not never purchase their products again.

In short, I couldn't care less about iphone coming to Verizon. Matter of fact, I think it will be a negative since, as mentioned previously, it may actually cause network problems.

But that's just me.

Upvote 0
^^ As far as your network overload fears go (which I too have), your grudge should be against any new smartphone that hits VZW, as well as the overall trend of smartphones which means everyone wants one and is probably getting one too.

But yeah, my iPhoto messed up within two years of buying it for $400 or some odd bucks, and I still feel guilty about my dad getting it for me and it dying lack that. Hard drive clicks then dies and that stupid "sad iPod" face shows up. Not paying $90 for them to look at it. Might get the courage one day to order a $30 kit from eBay and try and fix whatever's wrong, myself.

Be on the lookout around 1 Eastern, noon CST for that announcement. If anyone wants a link to the minute-by-minute update, let me know. Sounds cuckoo, I know.

For the Hero upgrade, this guy says it doesn't mean anything for US Sprint Hero owners, which means Eris owners have nothing either. But this is what I call a "follow-up" article, keeping tabs on developing stories: Irish carrier Meteor announces that HTC Hero will receive Android 2.1 update in March | Google Android Blog

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones