• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Wireless to store managers: Wednesday (1/26) is a big day

Although I think Android has the potential to destroy Apple's market, it doesn't yet have the momentum. I believe this is still mainly due to the hardware that most android devices are currently running on. The 528mhz processor just doesnt have the kick to make the experience fluid/snappy like the iPhone/iPod. The nexus one and droid are very nice improvements in this area and I'm really looking forward to see whats going to happen in this space in the near future.

ps- really hoping 2.1 will help my eris out in this area! :p

Upvote 0
Does anyone know why today was supposed to be a big day?... There was no Apple+VZW news. The VZW kick off event/web cast, or whatever, was supposed to be start at 1pm. There should be some good news if today was anything special.. I am veryyy interested.

Anyone have any news?:thinking:

Yes. Boy Genius Report is an unreliable source of rumored information.

Upvote 0
Big day for managers? Maybe they are all getting laid off due to $653 million dollar loss!!!

Verizon lost $653 million last quarter in spite of increasing revenues -- Engadget

Yeah, I saw that. Hopefully that wasn't it. Still haven't heard anything. Missed the conference tab.

With all the stupid, worthless threads made about stuff a numbskull could figure out, people are calling this thread pointless, or for its removal? It was just a heads up thread with me passing on info. I had heard. You should be happy I gave you another thread to ask your dumb questions repeatedly, "when's 2.1 coming out?" when there's ten other threads asking the same thing. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
*Braces his self for blind iPhone whores riding verizon*. Great now I can have 934958493584358948534958438589389458438589438954385984358943 iphone users on verizon bragging about their iPhone and enjoy half of the already shit EVDO data speeds (why is HSPA+ like 3985283892MB/s while EVDO is stuck on 3.2MB/s? Idc if LTE is around the corner either). I really want the iPhone to just go to T-Mobile, which believe me would be easier and more plausible.

Upvote 0
*Braces his self for blind iPhone whores riding verizon*. Great now I can have 934958493584358948534958438589389458438589438954385984358943 iphone users on verizon bragging about their iPhone and enjoy half of the already shit EVDO data speeds (why is HSPA+ like 3985283892MB/s while EVDO is stuck on 3.2MB/s? Idc if LTE is around the corner either). I really want the iPhone to just go to T-Mobile, which believe me would be easier and more plausible.

Yeah, Verizon should double prices for non-Android owners and drive them away, leaving the infrastructure free for our use. I immediately thought of what you did when a friend mentioned the possibility of the iPhone on Verizon and thought it would just mean more people in the same amount of space (or towers, in our case). But WHAT IF with the extra money and users, Verizon does the smart thing and adds even more towers to accommodate the increase in customers and it spills over and makes our service even better and faster?

You never know.

Upvote 0
Yeah, Verizon should double prices for non-Android owners and drive them away, leaving the infrastructure free for our use. I immediately thought of what you did when a friend mentioned the possibility of the iPhone on Verizon and thought it would just mean more people in the same amount of space (or towers, in our case). But WHAT IF with the extra money and users, Verizon does the smart thing and adds even more towers to accommodate the increase in customers and it spills over and makes our service even better and faster?

You never know.

I still think verizons network is going to take a beating regardless of how many base stations they add if the iphone comes to the network. The average consumer doesn't understand bandwidth because unlimited doesn't specify that defintion.

Upvote 0
I still think verizons network is going to take a beating regardless of how many base stations they add if the iphone comes to the network. The average consumer doesn't understand bandwidth because unlimited doesn't specify that defintion.

Then that means VZW will take away unlimited, or make it more expensive and give us a 5 GB limit. But even then, who reaches that point? I barely do 235MB on my data. The rest is on WiFi somewhere, either on campus, at home, or even at my grocery store (yes, some putz has an open connection, or maybe it's the store itself).

I dunno. I was never applauding the idea of the iPhone coming here, but the news alone is still big. What makes more sense, send it to a bigger company with a different baseband (I think that's what CDMA and GSM are called), or T-mobile where not such a drastic change has to be made but it's on EDGE? If you think about it, it's not that easy of choice. Worldwide, are there not more Tmo customers?

Upvote 0
Another epic fail from someone with no clue trying to predict what a carrier is going to do. Isnt there a big rumor forum all this useless crap can go into? :rolleyes:

The day you make a thread that benefits this forum will be the day I will learn to hack a forum and I will fulfill your request of a Rumors Section. Until then, you have nothing to complain about.

Upvote 0
The day you make a thread that benefits this forum will be the day I will learn to hack a forum and I will fulfill your request of a Rumors Section. Until then, you have nothing to complain about.

iPhone to VZW is not dead. There is no new agreement with ATT and the iPhone, and the conference turned out to be nothing about the iPhone.

The next one is in June. That's when we find out.

Upvote 0
Then that means VZW will take away unlimited, or make it more expensive and give us a 5 GB limit. But even then, who reaches that point? I barely do 235MB on my data. The rest is on WiFi somewhere, either on campus, at home, or even at my grocery store (yes, some putz has an open connection, or maybe it's the store itself).

I dunno. I was never applauding the idea of the iPhone coming here, but the news alone is still big. What makes more sense, send it to a bigger company with a different baseband (I think that's what CDMA and GSM are called), or T-mobile where not such a drastic change has to be made but it's on EDGE? If you think about it, it's not that easy of choice. Worldwide, are there not more Tmo customers?

They would never release an iphone 3G on Tmobile without the 1700mhz UMTS band. How can you sell a 3G phone without really having 3G?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones