Verizon's take on Droid 2.1 update

Last Updated:

1. aggressor2323

aggressor2323 Member This Topic's Starter

Good Morning Chris and thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website.

My name is Stanley, and I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding the release of the current 2.1 device firmware for the Droid devices.

The Droid operating system is a proprietary software by Google. Thus, Google determines when any related updates will be available to which Droid operated Smartphones, and therefore cannot predict and or indicate when any such updates will be available on the Motorola DROID A855 Smartphones. I apologize for any related inconvenience.

I have however, forwarded your concern to our Marketing Department for review, in hopes of expediting the 2.1 release for Verizon Wireless customers.

We appreciate your loyalty to our wireless products and services, and we are committed to resolving your concerns. I hope the information I have provided has been helpful, and I look forward to assisting you in the future.

Chris, thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you today. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

Stanley

Verizon Wireless

Data/Voice Technical Service Coordinator

Office Hours: 2pm through 11pm [Tuesdays through Saturdays]

Telephone: 1-803-400-4456 ext. 3352

Customer Service: 1-800-922-0204

Advertisement
  2. fam

fam Well-Known Member

Standard generic answer for people enquiring on something that isnt broken.

It should be what you expected when you\whoever wrote the email.

Get 2.1 now (and wireless tethering) use the sholes rooting app for $5 on the market (or do it free in a couple of days when they release the free version).

3. bdal1

bdal1 Well-Known Member

Why are people so desperate for 2.1?
    I don't understand.

4. gizbug

gizbug Well-Known Member

Better overall phone performance?

5. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

Ditto.

Software optimization.

6. TonyG916

TonyG916 Well-Known Member

if you don't want to root, go over to droid-life.com. they have the 2.1 apk files to hold you over.

7. bdal1

bdal1 Well-Known Member

I think people are going to be a little disappointed when it does release. With the exception of some updated apps and moving wallpaper.

Because the droid can run so many things at one time, the lag is always going to be around at some level.

8. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

LOL.

Dammit. Got another link?

9. Jon Nale

Jon Nale Well-Known Member

I feel the same exact way.

My phone is running great on 2.01. Yeah, 2.1 will be cool, but I can wait.

10. darrin2520

darrin2520 Well-Known Member

I think it is the little things and glitches that I am really hoping are looked into. This is the coolest phone by far that I have had, but it is not without its small glitches that in my opinion are probably software related.

• My phone powered off by itself the other day and it wouldn't turn back on until I plugged it in. I thought maybe the battery had drained (see below) but it was 90% when it came back on.
    • More than once my ear piece speaker has not worked on a phone call and the sound is actually coming out of the speaker jack. This generally happens when I get a phone call when doing other things.
    • I've replaced the battery once and it seems to have fixed the problem, but I got some weird issues before where my battery would go from 90% to 15% or even 0% in a heart beat.

There are more, but I guess I am hoping that along with a bit better battery life that there is some glitch repairs that come with 2.1. I'm pretty happy with 2.0.1 until that comes along though.

11. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I believe not only is the o/s going to be optimized for the DROID, but the kernel will as well. And with that kernel over-clocked at 1 GHz or so ... this thing is gonna screeeeeeam! :eek:

12. JDW

JDW Well-Known Member

It will bring world peace and something about 72 virgins...

13. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

I sure hope you're right, because the longer it takes, the more I feel Steve Jobs was onto something calling out Google's "Don't be evil" as BS. All I see is Google fragmenting Android base more and more. There is absolutely zero reason for a new Android phone to be released with anything but 2.0.1.

It seems today, that the only way to be ensured that you'll get the latest and greatest OFFICIAL updates is to buy a phone FROM GOOGLE. What happened to freedom and open? Maybe it's impatience, but when Google says that MT/Pinch in native apps goes to N1 and can't for DROID because the "hardware can't handle it," I cry BS!

I'm fed up with Google and my love affair with their business model has ended. Not that they'll notice, but I've switched my default search engines to Bing. I'm that fed up. So, I hope that you're right. And they push this update out to DROID. Every article I've read about Android's success starts with the DROID putting Android on the map with almost 2 million units sold. How can Google neglect this platform?

Evil, I say. Evil...

14. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

When did Google say the Droid cant handle multitouch? Are you just making stuff up? I think I would be mad at an imaginary evil Google too.

15. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that they said it does handle it but they have left the decision on whether a device has MT enabled up to the manufacturer.

So, it's Motorola that you should be boycotting, not Google. And in that case, you can just send the Droid to me :)

16. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

Can't beat that.
    'Nuff said.:D

17. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

Joe just made my heart skip a beat.. no rooting required AND still overclocking? :D sweeeet.

18. aggressor2323

aggressor2323 Member This Topic's Starter

How do you overclock and not root?

19. Cbrown

Cbrown Well-Known Member

Worked great for me. Thanks.

If only I could delete the old galleries, maps, etc...

20. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

That you do have to root for.

21. TXLady

TXLady Well-Known Member

And Microsoft's is better?

22. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

lol I didnt see the bing sentence. Now I almost think he's kidding.

23. darrin2520

darrin2520 Well-Known Member

I've got to mark it up to being sarcastic. Not only did he put this, he mentioned Steve Jobs crying about Google entering the phone market. Poor Steve doesn't want any competition.

I would love to see someone make a commercial in the essence of that 1984 Apple commercial against Big Blue. It is funny how the worm has turned.

Apple makes Microsoft look like an open source company.

24. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

Eh, who needs 2.1 when u can root and get more than the ota update is gonna bring? Myself, I'm probably not gonna take it, cause I like my phone rooted.

25. reznorfan0

reznorfan0 Well-Known Member

Apple makes China look like a democracy.