• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Version 3 is the Official Update from Verizon???

In the PDF, Verizon says that the update will create "improved swipe-unlock functionality". Does anyone have a guess as to what this might mean?

Dingleberry prevention??

Sorry, have no serious answer. I don't use the Swipe function, anyway, since someone here pointed out you could hit "MENU" instead

Upvote 0
Keep on mind that the PDF you are reading is VERIZON'S publishing, and we KNOW how reliable THEY can be in the Department Of Factual Information. :rolleyes: All those customer service reps that were telling us that the ADR6200 can't even handle 2.1 were probably going white thinking about all of the Devours they just pushed because they thought the Eris was dead. That's a few customer complaints right there.

So the same Big Red dopes printed that flyer, and included some extra features that SOMEONE dreamed up after looking into 2.2... one possible reason for the discrepency between leak 3 and the flyer.

Or maybe it's right, who knows? I am told early next month, Hero in late May. Anyone else hear this from HTC?

Upvote 0
In the PDF, Verizon says that the update will create "improved swipe-unlock functionality". Does anyone have a guess as to what this might mean?

Hopefully, it means you can reposition the swipe bar up higher. OR even remove the swipe feature when using the security lock. THAT would be nice. Security lock with a picture background?

Upvote 0

My initial thought is an unlock feature like the Moto Droid have or something similar to the iPhone unlock. I could be way off though. The last improved swype-unlock functionality made it so you didn't have to swype the entire screen to unlock it.

Any who, just a random thought on the date shown. A lot of times companies do use time/date for some significance. During Apple conventions they would make it so the time and date shown on the slide show would coincide with the actual time it was being displayed during the presentation. Or how analog watches use the time 10:10 to make the watches look "happy".

At any rate, this document by Verizon seems like pretty good news for the OTA update.

Upvote 0
Well, they do have instructions.

http://support.vzw.com/pdf/system_update/eris_instructions.pdf

I think there are a few things on that list that aren't in V3.

Holly crap, I am gone from the forum for one day and all kinds of good things happen!

Congrats OTD on MOD status!

I am not too surprise that Verizon is going to be releasing 2.1 shortly. The way v3 has been running I said from day one of installing it that it the OTA was just around the corner.

I agree OTD, there are a few things listed from Verizon that aren't on v3. The ROM and RADIO is the same as v3 but there are a few features (Gallery, Yahoo email) plus all of those beloved 1.5 apps that don't work on our leak 2.1's should now be available for download again! I hope, come on NBA Game Time!!!

Now the next question is, when is the Eris getting 2.2?! :rolleyes:

Reactions: OfTheDamned
Upvote 0
My initial thought is an unlock feature like the Moto Droid have or something similar to the iPhone unlock. I could be way off though. The last improved swype-unlock functionality made it so you didn't have to swype the entire screen to unlock it.

Any who, just a random thought on the date shown. A lot of times companies do use time/date for some significance. During Apple conventions they would make it so the time and date shown on the slide show would coincide with the actual time it was being displayed during the presentation. Or how analog watches use the time 10:10 to make the watches look "happy".

At any rate, this document by Verizon seems like pretty good news for the OTA update.

I hope there is a great improvement on this. I pocket answer almost every phone call without even knowing my phone is ringing and have people listen in on what I am doing without my knowledge, not a good thing sometimes.

Plus, I would like the option to have to use my security code to answer a phone call when the phone is locked.

We will see what happens.

Upvote 0
Congratulations Eris users, now your phone will be just like the Incredible, except running at half speed....now if the Eris could be overclocked...surely someone could do that...

Go play in your own forums.

Agreed. Sure, it's a cool phone. But WAKE UP. That's all it is: a phone. If you need to flaunt it and try to make others feel bad, phones are the least of your worries. Just my not-so-humble opinion.;):rolleyes:

-PC49:)

Upvote 0
Congratulations Eris users, now your phone will be just like the Incredible, except running at half speed....now if the Eris could be overclocked...surely someone could do that...

What about the smaller screen size? You left that out of your vent of flatulence.

That Incredible seems to have attracted quite the haughty little snots as an overall user base.

Upvote 0
Wow... I thought the MENU button trick was common knowledge by now.

Glad I could help!!
cool.gif

Upvote 0
Any chance the fact that my phone is just now having problems has to do with the OTA coming out soon? It just seems ironic that within the last week my phone has drastically slowed down, handcent is all sorts of messed up, my browser is slower than ever, and I miss calls all the time because my ringer doesn't make a sound until I've almost missed the call.
Also just started having lock screen problems about 2-3 weeks ago, good call on the menu button. I've had the phone since December.

Upvote 0
With the contorversy over whether the official OTA is the same as v3... the similar build numbers, but with more features and a smaller dl... I have this scenario running in my head:

In a darkened underground secret lab sporadically lit by arcing Tesla coils... ok, ok, maybe just some bland office. Some technicians are working on the OTA, then... EUREKA! They've made it work! The throngs of Verizon/HTC/Droid/Eris faithful can rejoice! There will be light in the universe as everyone eats up their Eclaire. One shady character feigning the urge to "make a twinkle in the potty" slips from the room, the outline of a 3x5 floppy in his pocket (shut up, it's a 3x5 in my mind; if you don't like it tell your own story). He skulks down the hall to a trenchcoat wearing man whose face is hidden by an overly broad brimmed fedora and deposits the disk in his gloved hand. The shadow man hands him a large satchel in return.
One of the men still in the lab, err... office turns to the other and says, "Hey where did Dave go? I need his help, I had way too much Nyquil today and forgot some stuff." The other technician looks around and says, "Dave who?" To which the first technician replies, "Dave Bothan." The other tech looks around again and says, "Dave's not here, man" with a shrug.
Later on, in the rundown apartment of the man now known as "Dave" the satchel explodes in a brilliant fireball, killing Dave and his extremly large family he'd stolen the OTA for in hopes of providing for his family. The news reports that, "Many Bothans died..."

And that my friends is why the OTA is slightly different than v3!

Reactions: Lyssie71
Upvote 0
With the contorversy over whether the official OTA is the same as v3... the similar build numbers, but with more features and a smaller dl... I have this scenario running in my head:

In a darkened underground secret lab sporadically lit by arcing Tesla coils... ok, ok, maybe just some bland office. Some technicians are working on the OTA, then... EUREKA! They've made it work! The throngs of Verizon/HTC/Droid/Eris faithful can rejoice! There will be light in the universe as everyone eats up their Eclaire. One shady character feigning the urge to "make a twinkle in the potty" slips from the room, the outline of a 3x5 floppy in his pocket (shut up, it's a 3x5 in my mind; if you don't like it tell your own story). He skulks down the hall to a trenchcoat wearing man whose face is hidden by an overly broad brimmed fedora and deposits the disk in his gloved hand. The shadow man hands him a large satchel in return.
One of the men still in the lab, err... office turns to the other and says, "Hey where did Dave go? I need his help, I had way too much Nyquil today and forgot some stuff." The other technician looks around and says, "Dave who?" To which the first technician replies, "Dave Bothan." The other tech looks around again and says, "Dave's not here, man" with a shrug.
Later on, in the rundown apartment of the man now known as "Dave" the satchel explodes in a brilliant fireball, killing Dave and his extremly large family he'd stolen the OTA for in hopes of providing for his family. The news reports that, "Many Bothans died..."

And that my friends is why the OTA is slightly different than v3!

I couldn't get through all that, but here's a 'lol' anyway just for your tenacity in doing so much typing for one post.

Upvote 0
Any chance the fact that my phone is just now having problems has to do with the OTA coming out soon? It just seems ironic that within the last week my phone has drastically slowed down, handcent is all sorts of messed up, my browser is slower than ever, and I miss calls all the time because my ringer doesn't make a sound until I've almost missed the call.
Also just started having lock screen problems about 2-3 weeks ago, good call on the menu button. I've had the phone since December.

Why or how would your phone slowdown possibly be related to OTA?

Upvote 0

It's not that they've slowed down; you have sped up.

Actually, I have no idea what's causing your problems. I've seen a thread in here about speeding up your Eris. Periodic maintenace, clearing cache and the like... maybe that's your best bet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones