• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Version 3 is the Official Update from Verizon???

that's why I asked...

...but it would make sense because my xbox used to get real laggy and sometimes froze shortly before specific game updates were available, so I was curious if anyone knew about/had the same issues

Okay...understand that I'm not calling you dumb, so take the following tongue-in-cheek. The phone being laggy for you would be like watching an Native American put his head to the ground and tell you that the buffalo are near or watching an old fellow tell you his knee is hurting because there is a storm approaching. Both have their merits and really occur in sensitive people. I'm just going to take that approach and guess that your phone is extra sensitive and you are exceptionally talented at seeing the subtle changes in phone behavior. It's not that anything is being done to your phone, it's just that you and your phone can "feel" that it's approaching. ;)

Upvote 0
With the contorversy over whether the official OTA is the same as v3... the similar build numbers, but with more features and a smaller dl... I have this scenario running in my head:

In a darkened underground secret lab sporadically lit by arcing Tesla coils... ok, ok, maybe just some bland office. Some technicians are working on the OTA, then... EUREKA! They've made it work! The throngs of Verizon/HTC/Droid/Eris faithful can rejoice! There will be light in the universe as everyone eats up their Eclaire. One shady character feigning the urge to "make a twinkle in the potty" slips from the room, the outline of a 3x5 floppy in his pocket (shut up, it's a 3x5 in my mind; if you don't like it tell your own story). He skulks down the hall to a trenchcoat wearing man whose face is hidden by an overly broad brimmed fedora and deposits the disk in his gloved hand. The shadow man hands him a large satchel in return.
One of the men still in the lab, err... office turns to the other and says, "Hey where did Dave go? I need his help, I had way too much Nyquil today and forgot some stuff." The other technician looks around and says, "Dave who?" To which the first technician replies, "Dave Bothan." The other tech looks around again and says, "Dave's not here, man" with a shrug.
Later on, in the rundown apartment of the man now known as "Dave" the satchel explodes in a brilliant fireball, killing Dave and his extremly large family he'd stolen the OTA for in hopes of providing for his family. The news reports that, "Many Bothans died..."

And that my friends is why the OTA is slightly different than v3!

Sounds like some X-Files stuff going on in that "office"

Upvote 0
I like both columns, I was just having fun with you guys, I am the owner of 2 Eris's (wife and daughter) and an Incredible, so I'm loyal to both sides, I'm glad the OTA update will finally be coming out, that way I don't have to buy my wife an Incredible.:eek:

Why can't all Incredible owners be this nice and everything towards us Eris owners?

+1, Randino

Upvote 0
I hope there is a great improvement on this. I pocket answer almost every phone call without even knowing my phone is ringing and have people listen in on what I am doing without my knowledge, not a good thing sometimes.

Plus, I would like the option to have to use my security code to answer a phone call when the phone is locked.

We will see what happens.

how does that possibly happen? i thought the eris screen was only responsive to skin?

Upvote 0
how does that possibly happen? i thought the eris screen was only responsive to skin?

A capacitive touchscreen will respond to any conductive material. Whether it be a finger or a piece of conductive metal. It will also respond if the conductive material is covered by a thin layer of nonconductive material, such as your leg covered by pants, like in your pocket.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Reactions: jps
Upvote 0
i just did through verizon

Yup, I did too. It's still there. Here's hoping "coming soon" means in the next week rather than in the next month or two. I don't know who would consider "coming soon" to be more than a week or two.

Doesn't anyone know how you would get to this page conventionally? Like, how would one be directed to this page other than typing in the URL?

Nevermind, I found it. You get there by going to the Eris support, and software upgrade.

Upvote 0
Why can't all Incredible owners be this nice and everything towards us Eris owners?

+1, Randino

Personally, I don't care how nice or mean Incredible owners are. The Incredible is essentially an Eris. Similar form factor and almost identical software.

And take this for what it's worth. I was told the Incredible is only clocked at 750 mhz. My source is a reliable guy, too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones