vertical photos rotating to horizontal orientationSupport

1. upscumbag

upscumbag New Member

The vertical (portrait) photos I take with my new S3 have suddenly begun to automatically rotate as if taken horizontally (landscape).

The vertical photos appear correctly in the phone's gallery. But when I upload them to either Facebook or my computer the photos are rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise, as if I took them horizontally. The photos also appear horizontal if send them through a text message.

This is a new problem. For the first three weeks the phone oriented the photos correctly regardless of how I held it (vertical photos showed as vertical, horizontal showed as horizontal).

The Exif data for vertical photos shows the photos have been rotated 90 CW. Yet the photo displays on my PC, Facebook or text messages as if it were taken horizontally.

Has anybody experienced this and/or found a solution?

Advertisement
    :
  2. SSmokybear

SSmokybear Well-Known Member

I just noticed this from my phone this morning as well. 2 of 15 pictures taken this weekend are like that.
  3. laurenrjacobs

laurenrjacobs Member

Yes, it is incredibly frustrating. I tried updating my Twitter profile picture form my phone and even if I change the rotation before uploading, it doesn't help. I wish I knew what the cause was and how to fix!
  4. laurenrjacobs

laurenrjacobs Member

5. upscumbag

upscumbag New Member

That is indeed a decent workaround that I'll probably have to use until the problem is fixed.

However, the bigger issue is that the phone did not have this problem initially. So either I've committed some boneheaded blunder that changed the camera's settings, or the phone changed the settings on its own.

Either way it's frustrating to know that the problem is fixable; just don't know how to fix it yet.
  6. ousuxndallas

ousuxndallas Well-Known Member

Same here when I upload pics through Tapatalk. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes they come out sideways.

Very frustrating.
  7. snilloconator

snilloconator Well-Known Member

Try clearing your camera's cache. Go to settings > applications > camera make sure all at the top is selected.
  8. dervari

dervari Well-Known Member

I don't have any issues with Twitter or FB. It seems that they honor the EXIF Orientation field.

I do have issues when viewing the pictures in Windows Photo Gallery and when uploading to Meetup.
  9. upscumbag

upscumbag New Member

Well, I have no idea how it happened, but the camera is back to functioning like it should. Photos taken vertically (portrait) are again appearing vertically on FB, text messages, my PC, etc. But I can't think of anything I did to "fix" the problem. I wasn't even trying to fix anything; camera just reverted back on its own.

snilloconator, I didn't get a chance to clear the cache, but I will keep that in mind if the problem arises again.
  10. peb1225

peb1225 New Member

I too am having this issue. When taking pictures in portrait (vertical) they take correctly. When I view them in the gallery, they appear as I took them. When I click to share to any app, mms, or online, the images rotate 90 degrees left. I tested the same thing with the front camera, and those images do the same thing yet they rotate 90 degrees right. I'm not sure what has caused this, as it wasn't originally doing it. I have cleared the camera settings and to no avail. This appeared to be the only location I could find in searches that someone else had had the same issue. Hoping perhaps someone has had this issue and knows of a means to correct it without having to crop every photo.

Thanks
  11. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

Just started today? WTF..
  12. aznguyen316

aznguyen316 Well-Known Member

Me too. Really annoying. Any fixes? Always has done this. Only had it for a couple days.
  13. GRey1

GRey1 Member

Okay, I had this issue as well within less than a week of owning it. Tried pulling the battery, cleared cache, reset to factory and every other fix I could find online. The problem was intermittent. When I went to Verizon to show them, it magically was working again. The next time (2 days later and after a reset) I took it in and they ordered a new one for me. By then, the phone would flip to landscape upside down whenever I used dolphin or facebook. It was crazy. Perhaps unrelated, but iHeart radio would randomly start back up and play the last channel I listened to. Anyway, it wouldn't act right for more than a day. Got my new phone 5 days ago and it is working perfectly. Perhaps a bad batch with accelerometer issues.
  14. ousuxndallas

ousuxndallas Well-Known Member

Mine had done this from day 1 randomly. Some pics are fine, others are flipped 90 degrees, some 180 degrees.
  15. varunj17

varunj17 New Member

I have the same issue lately..samsung support is crap...

is there any solution to this??
  16. Putty

Putty Well-Known Member

Did anyone ever find a fix for this? Happening to me and I am so annoyed by it. Tired of people asking me why I send sideways photos...ANYONE??
  17. Heisenberg123

Heisenberg123 Well-Known Member

works fine for facebook, twitter put them all(portrait pictures) sideways
  18. Putty

Putty Well-Known Member

texting is the issue
  19. Heisenberg123

20. Heisenberg123

thanks this actually works, funny a few portrait pictures work without this work around but i guess if it screws up delete the tweet and edit the picture than re-tweet, ignoying but thanks for the workaround

doing some more tests it looks to work normal if you add it to twitter from the Gallery app (ie share via twitter) but if you are already in the twitter app and hit the upload picture icon it does the sideways thing

so i guess a good rule if you changing your profile picture or replying to a tweet with a picture crop it first, if you just sharing a photo to your own tweet just use the share via twitter option in the Gallery app
  21. Putty

Putty Well-Known Member

When you take a photo in portrait and add it to a text message, if puts it in the message in landscape, so people who receive it have to turn their head to see.
  22. DianeWhitesAce

DianeWhitesAce New Member

Any updates on this rotating picture issue? Really a lot of trouble to crop and then send. It also adds the cropped picture to my gallery.

Diane
  23. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Sorry i havent read thread but people used to iphone/BB take pics with the phone in portrate mode where if you think about it, Sony started us holding the phone like a real camera.
  24. tweak4

tweak4 Well-Known Member

Any updates on this? My wife's S3 started auto-rotating MMS images today, even though it has worked fine for several months. Images shot landscape are fine, but portrait images are all rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise for some reason...
  25. trucky

trucky Well-Known Member

Think of your phone as a HD TV screen. That would be in landscape mode. This is how the camera thinks it should be. If you snap a portrait mode photo it's like you've turned your camera on the side and the image will end up rotated. I've learned to shoot everything now in landscape, using two hands and every single photo is oriented properly.
    funkylogik likes this.