Verticle eBay Desktop dock/chargerAccessories

Last Updated:

1. heffe2001

heffe2001 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I got my cheap ebay desktop dock/charger/cradle in today, and while it works, it could definitely use some improvement... I didn't expect it today, so no camera for pictures yet, but will remedy that when I get home tonight.

My main problem with it, when the phone is in it and plugged in, the phone sits at an almost perfect 90 degree angle from the desktop. According to the auction, it's supposed to sit at a "comfortable reading angle". Don't know about you guys, but perpendicular to the desktop isn't exactly comfortable to me, lol. A slight re-design of the stand would make it rest back a decent amount (and if you take the back off the phone, it does sit at a nice angle). The stair-stepped shape of the back of the phone rests on the back part of the slot, keeping it from tilting back. I plan on taking a dremel to the slot and see if I can give the phone a bit more leaning room. If I can notch the back just enough, it should make it much more acceptable.

I currently have the phone and a spare 1500mah battery plugged into it, and it seems to work charging both. I'll keep an eye on it though to make sure neither overheat. It also allows you to plug it into the PC via the attached USB cable, and that functioned fine as well. Hopefully it'll be able to charge my second battery, and keep up the charge on my phone while I listen to music at work.

The one I bought on ebay is here. I ordered it on the 8th, and received it today.

I'll post pictures tonight, and MAY go ahead and mod the case a bit, but I really hate having to do that to something I just bought to make it functional, lol (but it's only 19 bucks, so even if I botch it bad I'm not out too much, lol).

Does anybody else out there have one of these?

(and yes, I misspelled vertical in the title, any mods care to give me a little help there, lol).

Advertisement
  2. Ecks

Ecks Well-Known Member

First of all, the listing in your link was removed. :)

Secondly, I've seen these cradles before and the are pretty hideous to me :( I'm really holding out for a landscape dock and if it never comes, I'll just live with it.

3. heffe2001

heffe2001 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Link should work now. I wouldn't say they are hideous, but I would also prefer a landscape dock, but at this point, I'm betting we'll never see one (doesn't make sense to make a landscape dock for a phone that won't go into landscape mode when you put it in it, or who's main desktop is stuck in vertical).

I'll try to get some pictures, but at this point, I think I'm just going to use it to charge my extra batteries when I need to, as even hacked up I don't think it'll sit any way but straight up. There's another mount similar to this that looks like it might hold it at a decent angle here, but I've read reports that the arms are a bit tight, and I'd hate to scratch my screen up on a dock...