• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

very annoying fake virus warning

DaneClark

Dec 7, 2016
I am trying to use the Internet on my galaxy s5, and websites keep redirecting me to a really annoying fake virus warning that won't let me backspace. I'm not using Chrome or firefox, I'm just using the generic browser that came with my phone. It's really annoying me because I am suddenly unable to visit one of my favorite forums because of it

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-12-07-16-07-27.png
    Screenshot_2016-12-07-16-07-27.png
    326.7 KB · Views: 7,816
I'll try that, but I would like to point out that this fake "you won something" page looked like it was made by the same people who made that fake virus warning

EDIT-NOW that I get a better look at it, maybe it wasn't necessarily made by the same people,
These peeps know that "virus" is a countable noun? Unlike the first one.

Upvote 0
I cleared the cache and all data, and it's still happening.

Check the browser's settings and delete any "home page" entry. Then go to Settings/Applications/All, force-stop the browser app, and clear cache and all data. This should stop it. If not then the factory reset is the next logical step.

I know you don't want to because of the important data on the phone, but if you back it up beforehand you won't lose anything. Regular backups also protect against accidental damage, loss etc so are highly recommended in any case.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones