Very flaky wifiSupport

Last Updated:

1. albatorsk

albatorsk New Member This Topic's Starter

Jun 11, 2009
    I'm sitting here with my shiny HTC Dream, trying to figure out why it won't work right on my WLAN.

I have a D-Link DAP-1353 (it's a wireless AP that supports 802.11b, g and n-draft). I normally have it set to support all three standards at the same time, and this works fine with all my wireless equipment. Well, except for my Android phone.

Looking at the status in the web interface on the AP, it says that the phone hooks up at 802.11g. I also get the little "wireless" icon at the top of the status bar on the phone. The thing is, it's very prone to disconnecting. I'm talking seconds. Also, the speed when it's connected is barely 100kbps.

Now, if I set my AP to only support 802.11b, the phone will happily connect to that and everything seems to be just fine. I get a pretty high data rate at about 2000-2500kbps. Also, it stays connected, so it seems to be working just as intended. The problem with this is that all my other wireless equipment now has to suffer at 802.11b speeds, when they'd feel much better at 11g or 11n.

I'm thinking I have 3 possibilities;

1. Force the phone to always connect at 11b, even though the AP is announcing that it supports 11g. Is this possible?

2. Throw out this piece of shit D-Link AP and get another one from another maker. This seems rather radical, as the only problem I have with it is in conjunction with my phone.

3. Always have it set to 11b.

I'm hoping the first option would be possible, somehow. Can anyone shed some light on this? Has anyone had any similar expecience with their HTC Dream?