• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Very frustrating Tech-call from a sprint customer care.

Caloy

Android Expert
Jan 16, 2010
Richmond, TX
I've been having issues with my 4G not connecting. Every time I turn on my 4G network on, it kept on scanning for a 4G signal then turns back off. Even when I'm in a known strong 4G area that I used to get 6Mbps from. I haven't noticed this issue before the update, but only noticed the issue about 3 weeks ago when I tried to get a 4G signal where I previously had a strong signal (the place I've recorded a 6 Mbps speeds). At first I just thought it was just network congestion that I failed to connect and the widget was acting funny by constantly switching on and off and so on. But when I tried other places I knew I should have 4G like First Colony Mall in Sugar Land and near downtown Houston.

So I tried to call for support, after a lengthy troubleshooting, he concluded that it was a network issue. I told him that's an awful large network issue, when it affected Sugar Land, Stafford, Missouri and Downtown Houston. And if this issue have been present for 3 weeks already, I would've known from the people who lived nearby that frequent all the forums I've been surfing at. So me being a little bit frustrated asked him how can I change the PRL from CDMA Auto (PRL) to GSM Auto (PRL) then back to CDMA Auto (PRL) as I knew I did this before in the settings somewhere way back in June. He told me that I'm lying that it's a CDMA phone and not a GSM phone so I wouldn't be able to change those settings. I told him way back I did but somehow I can't find it. He made me sound like I'm a liar that even way back in 2.1 and 2.2 I can't do it. I was so frustrated that I just hung up.

I'm going to Best Buy to get this phone taken care of and have my insurance do it for me. Hopefully Best Buy have better customer service than Sprint. Now I know what people are talking about when they say that Sprint's Customer Care stinks. It does!

I feel your pain. Ever since the update my phone was having issue staying on 4G while being in hotspot mode. I went through three sprint techs and one at a regular (not corporate) store who told me that it was a network problem. The second tech told me to call a higher tech level. Here is their number: 877 735 8405. Your phone should still be under guarantee. Don't go through insurance that would be $100. The higher tech gave me an e-ticket and I went to the Sprint store on Westpark. The tech looked at it and said it was a defective phone. I was sent a new one in two days. I have yet to activate it though. Will do it tomorrow. But recently my 4G connection is even slower than my 3G go figure...!!! It didn't much bars though so it was weak (this with the old phone). I called them at night time maybe they are more perceptive then because they don't have as much complaining customers.

Reactions: Caloy
Upvote 0
So me being a little bit frustrated asked him how can I change the PRL from CDMA Auto (PRL) to GSM Auto (PRL) then back to CDMA Auto (PRL) as I knew I did this before in the settings somewhere way back in June.

Caloy, download the Network app from the market, and do the switch from there. I think it used to be done with a debug code, which doesn't work after 2.2

Upvote 0
I took ThermoEVO's advice and called the number he provided. They were better than the first one, who not only thinks I'm lying which was kind of insulting if you ask me. The second tech helped me do a factory reset. :) Now I'm trying to figure out which apps that I have paid for that are not on my list. Kinda weird that some of the apps I paid for are not in the market's download page. :/

I'm still searching for threads in this forum on how to install wav notifications. I figure I'll be through a day or two. As for the 4G, I can't test it out until I get a good signal. Hopefully the factory reset did the job. :)

Upvote 0
Caloy, download the Network app from the market, and do the switch from there. I think it used to be done with a debug code, which doesn't work after 2.2

Before the very first update, you can actually do it on settings. But after the first update, it was not in the options anymore, the very first update also disallowed the shoot me app from working as well. Oh well. :cool:

If you guys know where I can find the link to install wav sounds, so I can use them as notifications as well as ringtones - I'll be very greatful... Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
4G is pitiful at best. Sometimes I can get a signal and other times nothing. I've noticed it more too in the past couple of weeks. Sprint's coverage maps say I should get 4G inside my work building but I don't even get a 4G signal out on the street. And to think I'm paying 10 bucks extra a month. I wouldn't mind so much if I could just use the "premium services" I'm paying for.

Upvote 0
I've been having issues with my 4G not connecting. Every time I turn on my 4G network on, it kept on scanning for a 4G signal then turns back off. Even when I'm in a known strong 4G area that I used to get 6Mbps from. I haven't noticed this issue before the update, but only noticed the issue about 3 weeks ago when I tried to get a 4G signal where I previously had a strong signal (the place I've recorded a 6 Mbps speeds). At first I just thought it was just network congestion that I failed to connect and the widget was acting funny by constantly switching on and off and so on. But when I tried other places I knew I should have 4G like First Colony Mall in Sugar Land and near downtown Houston.

So I tried to call for support, after a lengthy troubleshooting, he concluded that it was a network issue. I told him that's an awful large network issue, when it affected Sugar Land, Stafford, Missouri and Downtown Houston. And if this issue have been present for 3 weeks already, I would've known from the people who lived nearby that frequent all the forums I've been surfing at. So me being a little bit frustrated asked him how can I change the PRL from CDMA Auto (PRL) to GSM Auto (PRL) then back to CDMA Auto (PRL) as I knew I did this before in the settings somewhere way back in June. He told me that I'm lying that it's a CDMA phone and not a GSM phone so I wouldn't be able to change those settings. I told him way back I did but somehow I can't find it. He made me sound like I'm a liar that even way back in 2.1 and 2.2 I can't do it. I was so frustrated that I just hung up.

I'm going to Best Buy to get this phone taken care of and have my insurance do it for me. Hopefully Best Buy have better customer service than Sprint. Now I know what people are talking about when they say that Sprint's Customer Care stinks. It does!

I have NEVER had a problem with CS!! Every time I had a problem, they fixed it to my satisfaction!!

As far as 4G, feel lucky you have it in cities than MANY people have never heard of!! Still waiting in Detroit area!!

Upvote 0
As far as 4G, feel lucky you have it in cities than MANY people have never heard of!! Still waiting in Detroit area!!

The Cities you never heard of is also called Metro Houston Area (More specifically SW Houston). And I'm not complaining about the 4G network, I'm complaining about the phone and a rude cx service representative who basically just insulted me. The second customer representative was way more helpful and very professional.

Upvote 0
4G is pitiful at best. Sometimes I can get a signal and other times nothing. I've noticed it more too in the past couple of weeks. Sprint's coverage maps say I should get 4G inside my work building but I don't even get a 4G signal out on the street. And to think I'm paying 10 bucks extra a month. I wouldn't mind so much if I could just use the "premium services" I'm paying for.

I'm pretty sure Sprint also said "premium services" was as much about having 4G/premium phones receiving priority data transmission over non-4G/premium phones. Though I don't know how to prove it, it should mean those paying the $10 premium essentially get front-of-the-line passes for data exchanges as compared to others. The only way to really know would be to do complex comparisons that average users won't be able to do.

That said, I just wish they'd throw in hotspotting or a full SprintTV package until 4G's more widely available.

Upvote 0
Good to know!

Were you able to get your problem resolved with Sprint?

Not yet, haven't been to any known 4G places. Last time I tried, when I tried turning 4G on, it said it failed, so it might be a hardware problem. Tomorrow I'll be in Down Town Houston and should definitely get a signal there, If It failed once more, I'll be calling them again, but this time, I'll call the provided number above, much better customer service than calling *2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones