• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Very great news for f3 users!!!

I highly doubt that at least for the MetroPCS model they will release the update. Reason being previous phones I have used were promised updates and then nothing happened. Specifically LG Connect 4G being promised ICS, and Samsung Galaxy Indulge being promised Gingerbread.

Also what concerns me is the extreme lack of space available on this phone, I am worried that if a update is released there would be even more of a space crisis then what is currently going on.

Either way, by the time they release the update (if they do), I will already have replaced this phone with the Nexus 5 or OnePlus One. I hope they do release the update for those still running this phone.

Upvote 0
Fair point, but I'm hoping it still is pushed through for VM F3's. The Loki exploit has made it possible to install CWM recovery, robaho has made an overclock kernel, and we do have some custom ROMs for this phone. Some crafty dev might be able to make a KitKat ROM for this phone, or make one that back ports some of its features in a custom JB 4.1.2 ROM.

Going to search for the Loki exploit when I get a chance as I need to install some CWMR, after that we move onto the OCK's.

OT: This is good news but still we all know Virgin Mobile doesn't like to give us the latest revisions of Android lol.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what this means, but it is interesting.

I emailed Virgin Mobile and asked them this:
"LG is putting out an update for the Optimus F3 phones this summer to
raise it the KitKat version of Android. Will you be pushing out this
update to the Virgin Mobile version of this phone? I sure hope so - it
would definitely raise my opinion of VM that they care about their
customers getting the most value out of their phones."

The response I got was this:
"Upon reviewing your inquiry, we are going to provide you with the steps
to manually check if your LG Optimus F3 phone is ready to get the new
AOS KitKat. Please follow the steps provided below:
1. Select Menu > Settings.
2. Scroll down and select System Updates.
- Note: If the System Updates option is not available, scroll down and
click on About Phone / About Device > System Update.
3. The options displayed on the System Updates screen will vary. Make a
selection for the type of software update shown in the Device Software
Database.
4. The device will check for an update. On some devices, you will be
prompted to click Check Now.
5. A message will appear if the handset is using the most up-to-date
software. Press the Back key to clear this message.

If you do not find a newer version, we kindly recommend to wait until
Virgin Mobile sends a text message with a link to upgrade your phone. We
hope we have accomplished your request today."

I replied back: "I don't completely understand the instructions, but what I would like to know is - are you saying that Virgin Mobile will be pushing out the KitKat update for the Optimus F3 phone? (and if so, when?)"

Waiting on a response from VM...

Reactions: bkttk2
Upvote 0
I realize the instructions seem a bit vague, but if you know when LG will release the updates, then that would be the time to begin checking our phones. VM should have the update in their system by that point. If they have one, it will certainly be altered to include some of the usual bloatware, I'm sure. They make the final call on this. AFAIK LG is supposed to release it sometime in June or July. I know that support gives us all this roundabout stuff, but that's my best answer.

Reactions: bkttk2
Upvote 0
Apparently the only customers Virgin Mobile cares about are the ones that buy the high dollar phones. :mad:

Here's the response I got to my last reply from my post above (#32):
"At the moment, the only phone that we are planning to upgrade to the
latest Android OS KitKat, is the Samsung Galaxy S3, but we do not have a
date when the update will begin. We do not have any information
regarding an update for the LG Optimus F3."

While they did not come right out and say the F3 won't be updated, it doesn't sound to promising to me. :(

Upvote 0
Apparently the only customers Virgin Mobile cares about are the ones that buy the high dollar phones. :mad:

Here's the response I got to my last reply from my post above (#32):
"At the moment, the only phone that we are planning to upgrade to the
latest Android OS KitKat, is the Samsung Galaxy S3, but we do not have a
date when the update will begin. We do not have any information
regarding an update for the LG Optimus F3."

While they did not come right out and say the F3 won't be updated, it doesn't sound to promising to me. :(

As far as the Galaxy S3 for Virgin Mobile KitKat upgrade, they have started pushing it out to customers as of May 27.

I wouldn't read much into what Virgin Mobile CSRs say, if I were you I would keep my eye on LG's OpenSource Code Distribution webpage. If there is going to be a KitKat upgrade for the F3 it will be posted here usually a few days before the update is pushed out.

Upvote 0
As far as the Galaxy S3 for Virgin Mobile KitKat upgrade, they have started pushing it out to customers as of May 27.

I wouldn't read much into what Virgin Mobile CSRs say, if I were you I would keep my eye on LG's OpenSource Code Distribution webpage. If there is going to be a KitKat upgrade for the F3 it will be posted here usually a few days before the update is pushed out.

Thanks for the info. So if they put the Optimus F3 KitKat update/OS on the source code page, will there be a way to force the KitKat update to the F3 (if Virgin Mobile does not push the update themselves) and have the phone still work with VM?

(Hopefully a simple way to do it)

Upvote 0

How can we identify the right file?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. So if they put the Optimus F3 KitKat update/OS on the source code page, will there be a way to force the KitKat update to the F3 (if Virgin Mobile does not push the update themselves) and have the phone still work with VM?

(Hopefully a simple way to do it)

As long as it's specifically programmed for the VM F3, it should work. It may be a firmware file, so the LG flash tool may be needed. That's my guess.

In that case I hope anyone trying that method for KitKat has a backup phone. I still have my V.

Upvote 0
20/6/2104

Don't know what you are getting at, but it only shows Jelly Bean:

https://www.lg.com/global/support/opensource/opensourceList?types=ALL&search=f3

Our best hope really is if xclusive36 releases a relatively stable CyanogenMod port for us to use. I haven't gotten around to playing with any of his ROMs, as my free time is currently spent looking after my dad in hospital + errands at home I'm doing for him. (He's stable, thank goodness, but still needs close monitoring. :))

http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...hings-root/836250-cm-project-still-alive.html

Upvote 0
Our best hope really is if xclusive36 releases a relatively stable CyanogenMod port for us to use. I haven't gotten around to playing with any of his ROMs, as my free time is currently spent looking after my dad in hospital + errands at home I'm doing for him. (He's stable, thank goodness, but still needs close monitoring. :))

http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...hings-root/836250-cm-project-still-alive.html

Oh sorry to hear that your dad is in the hospital. I know that situation too but it was with my mom. Hope he feels better.

If I can get my hands on Xclusive36's cm rom is he get's it to boot, I can try to port slimbean or AOKP.

Upvote 0
Last time I looked it listed V5 and V6 ... those have been removed and now there is a V7 - LG720(Optimus_F3)_Android_JB_ZV7

V5 is back. V6 is still out. V7 is indeed listed. Make sure it is for the LGVM720 and not the LGVM720W if you choose to flash V7! Haven't tried it yet myself. Might break root... but that is my guess.

Reactions: bkttk2 and isilent
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones