• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

VERY Interesting Chat with an HTC Rep RE: Downgrading Dream...

XBrav

Jan 24, 2010
Calgary
www.xbrav.com
Hello all,

Well, as you have previously seen, I have had some super fun complications with my Dream post updating. Today, I got frustrated and contacted HTC online about my issues with the software, and if I can attempt to re-install the update. Amazingly, the RUU will allow you to re-install the same version.

Jump ahead to the end of the conversation, I began asking "Well, if I continue to have issues, is there a way to revert to a previous version at my own risk?" The rep wasn't afraid to tell the truth!

Seems the RUU updater doesn't check which version you are loading. So, if you really want, you could install an older ROM. His last comment was the one that proved interesting:

"Hello Bryan,

The phone doesn

That rep didn't really know what he was talking about. The phone does actually check the version of the ROM you try to "update" to. That's why we haven't been able to downgrade our phones.

Answer to your question: You can do what you're thinking, but only if you find a way to put the old ROM back. If you can do that, you beat the whole XDA community ;)

Upvote 0
The phone does actually check the version of the ROM you try to "update" to. That's why we haven't been able to downgrade our phones.

If you can do that, you beat the whole XDA community ;)

Agreed!

XBrav, while I agree with you on all points and I too had noticed a considerable impact to my Magic post-update specifically when it came to battery life and just overall responsiveness of the operating system, the magic / dream post-update in my personal opinion are rendered crippled in comparison to the original.

Upvote 0
That rep didn't really know what he was talking about. The phone does actually check the version of the ROM you try to "update" to. That's why we haven't been able to downgrade our phones.

Answer to your question: You can do what you're thinking, but only if you find a way to put the old ROM back. If you can do that, you beat the whole XDA community ;)

Well, the weird thing was, when I tried to load another OS on it, it gave me a signature error. I'm wondering if the RUU will take a signed update, even if it is older? I just don't want to brick my phone, and XDA isn't at the point of complete JTAG support yet.

Upvote 0
Well, the weird thing was, when I tried to load another OS on it, it gave me a signature error. I'm wondering if the RUU will take a signed update, even if it is older? I just don't want to brick my phone, and XDA isn't at the point of complete JTAG support yet.

The RUU shouldn't hold any risk of bricking your phone (unless you interrupt the installation). Just check the battery before you start. Well actually there is one situation, but I don't think it's possible: old SPL is flashed, radio not. Ezterry solved that :)

Upvote 0
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but as others have already said, the HTC rep had it wrong. If you try to update with an older .nbh file (in my case, I was trying the update Rogers released back in August 2009), you will be able to start the update but after it verifies the package, you will get
Code:
Main version is older! 
Update Fail! 
Do you want to reboot device? 
<ACTION> Yes 
<POWER> No
I am glad people are still trying to root this damn thing, I just wish Rogers themselves would release that newer update already and that it would be unlocked from the start. I know using JTAG you can bypass this whole thing but that's just a little bit beyond my comfort level.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones