• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Very new to this thing and need some info to understand

Screener

Lurker
Aug 5, 2010
Hello everyone

I got myself an android phone two weeks ago
And as I was saying I'm very new at this . . . I have been reading for some time and I need some pro help

I got the motorola milestone with the 2.1 update and arabic keys

So I just wanted to know some things:

1- is an update of 2.2 coming to this phone?

2- what do I get when I root my phone? (after all the reading I did I did not get it)

3- what is the best way to root it? (without loosing Arabic)

4- if I flash a rom on my phone do I lose the original rom that comes with it ? (don't want to lose the Arabic support)

5- can I make a copy of my phone os so I can come back to it when I need to ?

6- if the update is not coming . . . What is the best 2.2 rom that I can use ?

7- should I make my CPU run faster ?? If yes what is the best speed I should go for?

I know it's a lot to ask but I really don't know how every thing works in android

Thanks for the help

1- is an update of 2.2 coming to this phone?

Soon hopefully.

2- what do I get when I root my phone? (after all the reading I did I did not get it)

You gain "administrator" access, allowing you to run programs you cant run without rooting, and allowing you to flash custom roms to change the look and feel of the device.

3- what is the best way to root it? (without loosing Arabic)

There isnt a "best" way. You need to read all about the different methods, and decide which one you want, and are able to, do.

4- if I flash a rom on my phone do I lose the original rom that comes with it ? (don't want to lose the Arabic support)

yes, but you can use a rom manager to switch between roms.

5- can I make a copy of my phone os so I can come back to it when I need to ?

When you first root you can make a backup, or download a backup app.

7- should I make my CPU run faster ?? If yes what is the best speed I should go for?

Overclocking can be very dangerous. I dont do it, but others do and have no problems.

Reactions: Screener
Upvote 0
There are forums on here for each android phone. If you go to the one with your phone, i'm sure you will find what you need. You can also check out xda-developers. They have forums on there, and they are the ones who actually make the roots and roms.

You need to find these things on your own. I have given you all the basic information, and where to find it. I'm not going to treat you like a child and explain every single detail on how to do it, that's up to you to figure out. there are plenty of guides out there for this purpose.

Upvote 0
Thanks again for you reply
I did not want someone to spoon feed me I have used lots os's on phones and pc's I'm new to android and bada.
I just wanted to know what are the thoughts on which one is beter . . . That's all
Anyway thank you very very much for your help it really made a difference . . . Now I understand how android works a bit more
I'll be looking into xda developers for the info

Regards

Upvote 0
Yeah they have it with Arabic that's why I wanted to backup my original rom

Any way here are the info about the phone

Details:
Firmware Version:
2.1-update1

Firmware configuration version:
GAS_EMEA_USASHLS00RTARAB_P006

Baseband version:
3GSMEPU91A_U_91.07.4EI

Basband configuration version:
UCAASHLSMR2EMEAB1B805C.0R

Kernel Version
2.6.29-omap1
wxnk36@ca25rhe75#1

Build Number:
SHOLS_U2_02.27.6

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones