Very newbie to rooting - Bear with me

Last Updated:

1. brownbuffalo

brownbuffalo Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,

So this forum has been amazingly helpful, informative and fun.

I have a stock Incredible with the leaked 2.2 update installed. As much as I love my phone, I have to say I am envious of all you folks who are knowledgeable enough to be rooted and take full advantage of the technology on this sucker.

That being said, I've read everything over, and I consider myself to be pretty tech savvy, but when I read everything here, I feel like a novice. However, the videos on how to root, install roms, etc., break everything down really well. I'm starting to feel like I might actually be able to do this.

So, predictably, my questions is do you recommend my rooting? I have to admit, I understand what a rom is now, but I'm still confused as to what a kernel is and a couple of the other terms. Nevertheless, I wonder how important knowing every single detail is? Does it seem like something anyone can pick up? Or should I just leave well enough alone?

Also, will my SD card be wiped, or can I just leave it alone?

Any feedback would be incredibly useful. I guess I'm looking for reassurances.

Advertisement
  2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Best advice I can give is spend time here and other root forums until you're comfortable. You want to focus on the process of rooting, procedure for loading roms/kernels, features of Clockwork mod, Titanium Backup or a similar backup program, using ADB (if desired), removal of unwanted apps, top recommended root apps.

Those are some of the best areas I can think of, there's more. Many of those can be researched fairly well in the sticky at the top of this forum. If you have any specific questions after checking things out further, fire away.

To at least try to answer your original question more directly though, the act of rooting isn't hard. It's what you can do after rooting that can offer challenges and if not researched well, can prove to be problematic for some.

3. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

Heya buffalo this is where all the fun begins!

I thought the same thing, I'm very tech inclined and this root stuff seemed so new to me. One weekend reading and researching on my PC and I was off!

It's really not complicated and imo safe as can be if you research and make a mental checklist before you just go trouncing through the process.

Iowa gives good advice.

This is how I did it ymmv. Read through dadicus's guide here

Also read through Jonathon's guide here

Don't pay so much attention to all the unix commands (removing bloat) you can get back to that when you learn the basics.

A kernel is basically "the bridge between applications and the actual data processing done at the hardware level" it provides the communication path between the software and hardware. A translator of sorts.

I formatted my SD card before my root (haven't done it since and no need to imo) to FAT32 as was requested by unrevoked. Just make a backup on your PC for anything important to you (pictures, music, etc... your personal data).

I wish you luck take your time check your P's and Q's and ask questions when your not sure :cool:

4. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

Rooting, roms, kernels, etc can look very intimidating at first and a little scary when you think you may "brick" your phone for good, but honestly its a lot easier than it looks.

Its very, very hard to truly brick your device for good. With all the help that is out there on this forum, xda, and others even the most screwed up device can usually be brought back to life. That being said whenever attempting a new step, beginning with unrevoked, READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS 4-5 times before doing anything.

It seems like a great many people open up a guide on how to do something and start doing it step by step without have read through the whole thing first. Its better to get an understanding for what you are doing instead of doing it on the fly. There are usually drivers or something extra that you may need for later and its better to know that before starting.

Really, once you have s-off and recovery everything else is pretty easy. Roms aplenty are available in rom manager and in xda and figuring out what kernels go with them is more trial and error as everyone's device responds to the configurations differently; what works for some doesnt work for others.

And obviously the biggest thing before doing any changes (once you have a recovery) is making a nandroid backup. Seems simple but a lot of people never make one before flashing or delete them all.

5. brownbuffalo

Thanks for the support!

After some extensive reading, I used theunlockr's tutorial on how to root. However, despite what I considered to be extensive reading, I never once saw something that suggested I back up my files (duh!) or re-format my sd card!

Anyways, while following the tutorial, I felt pretty comfortable until I started noticing some inconsistencies. For example, the "hboot usb" option on startup wasn't where it was on the video. However, it was visible, so I attributed it to my having the DInc and the Evo being used on the video. However, I really started getting worried when I didn't see a "nandroid" option before final setup. I figured, "well, I'm going to lose everything, but I'm too far in the process to go back now." I was pretty freaked out though.:(

Finally, the process went to completion, and I saw the little ninja superuser widget. I figured,"cool, I got this," and decided to follow the video on how to install a rom. I installed the same "blue" rom, which I've seen pictures of and always wanted. The process was relatively smooth, DInc vs. Evo discrepancies notwithstanding. However, when it came time to set up, I got stuck on an endless reboot loop!:(

I wondered what the heck I could do, especially because at this point, since I couldn't even get past the reboot stage, there was no way for my usb connection to allow me to even see my sd card on my computer! I attempted to go through the root process all over again, thinking I might have missed something, but I couldn't get through it.

Finally, I was able to read my card through my laptop reader, but only after a computer restart, which had me freaked for a good 20 minutes. I copied the files for a different "blue" rom, hoping that was the issue. I installed it, and was STILL stuck on the reboot loop! :confused:

At this point, I got crazy discouraged but luckily found the link on how to unroot your phone. I realized that this had literally been posted just a day before! What luck!

I was able to go through the process of "un rooting" and am now back at stock. I actually didn't lose any of my sd card files, but did lose all my texts, voicemails, etc., which I expected.

Given that I'm starting off from scratch, I figure that trying to root again really won't leave me worse off anymore, since I'm back at square one:rolleyes:

Nevertheless, it is kind scary, but reassuring to know that I can always just go back to stock. At this point, I'm just glad I didn't brick the phone!

All that being said, I'm wondering what happened. I think it was the rom which once I went back, I think I found wasn't updated for 2.2. This stil doesn't answer why the nandroid option didn't come up though.

Ahh, questions abound. But what do you guys think?

All help would be appreciate.

Thanks again!

6. brownbuffalo

One more question:

I have read that once you root, you no longer have Verizon support. Does that mean no more automatic updates? Does backup assistant still support contacts? Will I have to backup my contacts in another way? How else is it impacted?

Thanks!

7. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

I've never used backup assistant. I have all my contacts in my gmail account and so they auto-sync.

8. brownbuffalo

Thanks for the heads up!

I actually like backup assistant...kinda sucks I have to give it up.

Do you have any idea how I could possibly get all my contacts off my phone and onto another system, possibly google?

All help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

9. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

I had to type all my contacts into my google account one time but I've never had to do it again since then. When I move to another android phone and set up my gmail account, it syncs all my gmail contacts "automagically" While it sounds like a pain, at least you get to enter them quickly at a full size computer keyboard on your PC. It literally only took me like 10 or 15 minutes and since I never have to do it again, I consider that time well spent. You just get on your PC, open up your gmail, select "contacts" in the upper left (below "Mail" and above "Tasks"), and fill them out. The only other thing you might have to do, if you haven't already, is sign in to your gmail on your phone. Just run the gmail app and sign in. For years I've been through several "move the phone contacts" scenarios and I'm telling you that since putting mine in gmail, moving them has not only been painless, it hardly takes any thought, as soon as I get a new phone, I sign in to gmail (set it up on that phone) and boom, my contacts are populated. It really is that simple.

10. brownbuffalo

Yikes! That sounds daunting, but also kinda sounds like a worthwhile investment. Looks like I might have to spend some time doing this...
    Thanks!

11. spence341

spence341 Well-Known Member

I don't think you loose the ability to use Backup assistant. I choose no to re-install it when I restored with Titanuim.

On the rooting process, you mentioned seeing some things in the steps then not seeing them when you were going through the root process. Changes happen so fast, if you do not have the latest guides the instructions are not exact.

I thought Johnathan's guide was one of the best to use when rooting.