very simple rooting question

Last Updated:

1. sersdf

sersdf New Member This Topic's Starter

i've asked a friend and i've done searches to get an answer to this, but i think it's so simple a question that google can't find me an answer:

if i root my epic, can i still use all the apps from the app market? in particular, i would not root my epic if i would be unable to use Sype or Google Voice.

thanks.

Advertisement
  2. infamousjax

infamousjax Well-Known Member

Why do you think rooting your phone has anything to do with apps on the market? It doesn't. It actually lets you utilize more apps.

sersdf likes this.
  3. sersdf

sersdf New Member This Topic's Starter

well, because... when i dual boot linux, most windows programs don't work on ubuntu. when i hacked my wii (softboot), all of the programs i installed to the homebrew channel OS came from the hacking community, not from Nintendo.

maybe i'm making an inappropriate analogy of .rom (cyanogen) to OS?

in any case, it seems like Swype can't be downloaded from their website at this moment and comes only as a package from sprint epic4g...

4. madiom

madiom Well-Known Member

Back all of your apps up with titanium backup. They should re-install no problem regardless of the ROM you pick. Some ROM's may even have a version of swype pre-loaded as an option.

5. PoundSand

PoundSand Well-Known Member

yeah, you got the analogy wrong.

rooting doesn't change the os- rooting is just that- giving you root access. just like on linux . running as a root user on linux doesn't require different apps from running as a restricted user, as it doesn't on android (which has it's roots (haha) in linux).

rooting also doesn't require running a different rom.

6. hayzooos

hayzooos Well-Known Member

Ooh, that's good to know that rooting doesn't require you to have a different ROM installed. So you're saying I could root my phone, and leave everything the way it is but have the ability to get rid of all the crap Sprint apps that come preinstalled? That's the biggest reason I would want to root right now. I know as soon as I open up Pandora's box, anything is possible!!

7. redneckchick

redneckchick Member

I am a complete newbie to this as well. The main two things I want to do are remove Sprint Bloatware and add an app that can force the phone to roam due to the horrible reception at my house. If I can root the phone and leave everything but that alone it would be fabulous! I'm not quite up to installing different ROMs or any of that yet

8. PoundSand

PoundSand Well-Known Member

Yup, if you just root, everything else will be essentially the same, but you'll be able to remove sprint apps, install wifi tether, etc.

I'm not aware of an app to force roam-only, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

redneckchick likes this.
  9. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Roam Control is a paid app from the market that will force you to Roam but you must be rooted.

It may be easier and more useful to see if sprint will hook you up with a free airrave (sp?) though.

10. redneckchick

redneckchick Member

Yeah, already tried that. I don't have enough service to get an Airave....:rolleyes: