• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

very slow 3g speeds 129KBs up 80down

I am getting similar results in suburbs of Atlanta. According to the 4G coverage map I am a few hundred yards away from getting 4G. But with 3G and 3 to 4 bars of reception, I thought I'd get more than 800 Kb/s download speeds. Using my WiFi, I in the mid 5,000 range, so I don't think it is the phone.

I've done all the updates to system settings, removed battery, etc - but nothing seems to help.:thinking: So I joined this forum to search for an answer.

The FCC Broadband test app works sometimes and sometimes not.
I've used Speedtest app, DSL Reports test online, and even the Sprint online test.

Maybe it will work better tomorrow when I am on I-75, but when at home the WiFi (AT&T uVerse) seems to be the way to connect for "blazing fast speeds".

Here are my results for my connection speed using Speedtest.net app in the market. I've done 6 different test 2 on wifi and 4 on 3G connection.

452 kbps down, 45 kbps up in my house w/ 1 bar of 3G
198 kbps down, 48 kbps up in my house w/ 0 bar of 3G
1041 kbps down, 172 up outside w/ 3 bars of 3G (live in the country area)
831 kbps down, 153 kbps up outside w/ 1-2 bars of 3G (live in the country area)
5453 down, 562 up w/ wifi
5684 down, 561 up w/ wifi

3G speeds depend on the signal you receive.

Upvote 0
For those of you saying 3g/4g should be slow on launch day..well, check out these screen shots. I was amazed haha.

n3q6bo.png

2en2qoh.png

In the second pic, I live in FL, and I accidentally left GPS off, so it picked a server in a diff state, still received 10 mpbs lol. Sadly I haven't seen speeds this fast, then again I haven't really messed with it :p

Upvote 0
For those of you saying 3g/4g should be slow on launch day..well, check out these screen shots. I was amazed haha.

n3q6bo.png

2en2qoh.png

In the second pic, I live in FL, and I accidentally left GPS off, so it picked a server in a diff state, still received 10 mpbs lol. Sadly I haven't seen speeds this fast, then again I haven't really messed with it :p

Dude you are on WiFi not 3G or 4g

Upvote 0
Ahh ... see in this pic you have 3g on but showing a WiFi Result... before you had WifFi on but showing a Cell result.. screwed me up... apologies

It's cool. The reason it says wifi, is because I had it on tonight, which I took the screenshot, but the actual speed test was done on launch day, when I didn't have it on. Hope that clarifies what you were thinking :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones