Very tired of the iPhone

Last Updated:

1. Carlton_Banks

Carlton_Banks New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, I have grown tired of my iPhone 3G. Mainly due to the fact that it doesn't support Flash. I live in Canada and unfortunately phones such as the EVO 4G and Incredible are not available and it is likely to continue this way for quite some time. I was thinking of getting the Motorla Milestone unlocked from eBay and using Telus as a carrier. I am aware that the phone is restricted to 2g, but I am fine with that. I have heard good things about this phone, and it will be my first Android phone. A few questions I have are:

-Will Android 2.2 be supported on it as well as Flash 10.1?

-Is the Android app store decent?

-Hows doee the web browsing experience compare to that of the iPhone?

I will not be using the phone for music. I have an iPod, and I have seen that the UI for music on the Droid is quite outdated looking. The phone will mainly be used for web browsing, texting, and apps.

Lastly, what are everyone's overall opinions on this phone? Please keep in mind phones such as the EVO 4G and Incredible are not available where I live otherwise I would be buy those.

Thanks,

Advertisement
  2. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member

1) The Motrolda Droid (CDMA Milestone) is rumored to be getting it very soon. I can tell you that HTC has promised that their phones released in 2010 will get 2.2 sometime during the second half of 2010 (though the Desire is rumored is to get it on June 23rd, just a rumor. HTC Triumph coming to Telus is the same as the HTC Desire). And 2.2 will support Flash.

2) I haven't had problems with it. I wish you could sort the apps by rating sometimes. There are many websites out there which organize the app market and they have barcodes which you can scan with your phone that will take you to the app market. I have heard that 2.2 (FroYo) will have an improved app on the app market.

3) There are several web browsers out there. Most are skins of the current stock one (except Opera Mobile). I personally haven't had problems with the web browsing (I use Dolphin HD which has tabbed browsing and a nice interface).

3. Mortus

Mortus Well-Known Member

I have not had my Milestone long, but I will certainly share my impressions of it, and Android as it to is my first Android phone.

First the Milestone seems to be a very solid phone and I would agree with others that it's the best Android based phone with a physical Querty Keypad. I am with Telus, and I must say they are decent as a cell phone provider, however I do have some issues with the Milestone in terms of internet connectivity, both over data channels and WiFi, this I attribute more toward Telus being a questionable internet provider. I am reasonably sure that internet access is routed to one of their proxy servers.

As for the Android Apps Market I find it some what unorganized, and it is not heavily regulated. It is true to it's Linux roots however in that there are quite a few apps that do similar things in different ways, so you are free to choose one that works best for you. Research on any apps you have any doubt about is recommended.

As for web browsing aside from the issues mentioned above with Telus and internet connectivity, I find web browsing to be quite fair. It should be noted I am using a stock Telus Milestone, not an unlocked or rooted one.