VERY weird keyboard/text entry issueSupport

Last Updated:

1. voddrummer

voddrummer New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All,

So I've been having the strangest issue with my fascinate the past two days. I really doubt anyone will know the answer to this, but figured I'd post anyway for suggestion. It's an odd one.

Issue: When sending an SMS on the fascinate, pressing the space bar key after pressing the 'i' key results in a capital I being inputted onto the screen. When any other character is pressed, and the space bar is pressed immediately after, a space is inputted correctly.

I've tried a numerous amount of things to resolve this, but all to no avail. Auto capitalization is turned off on the keyboard, and 'quick fixes' is disabled as well. When I send an email, the issue does not occur, however, when I type a lower case i (in email), it auto corrects it to a capital (even though that setting is disabled). Additionally, when I make any changes to the 'Android keyboard settings', the changes do not take effect - the check marks (or unchecked boxes) show the change was made, but the functionaily on the phone does not relfect the change that was made (example, 'vibrate on keypress' disabled - go to SMS, or Email, and keys still vibrate when pressed) odd :confused:

The really weird thing, if I switch the language to Spanish, I can input an 'i' character and when I hit the space, it inputs a space correctly (doesn't place an 'I' after the i as it does when in English language) - switching back to English results in the I being inputted (instead of a space) after typing 'i'. I checked the user dictionary in English and there are no custom entries.

Any ideas out there? The next thing I'm going to try is resetting the phone to factory defaults, but I'd really like to see if there is a resolution to this. Not finding anyone out there that's been experiencing the same issue - I've removed all apps downloaded from the market just in case one of those had something to do with it.

Thanks in advance to anyone that may know the answer.

Advertisement
  2. Jacki1008

Jacki1008 Well-Known Member

As for the keypad still vibrating: from your home screen,
    Menu

3. Ender519

Ender519 Member

Are you using Swype? If so, that automatically inserts spaces for you. I'd HIGHLY recommend that you go to swype.com and look at the tutorials if this is the case, you will be pounding out SMS's and emails quicker than you could ever imagine.

This would also possibly explain why the keyboard still vibrates, because swype has it's own settings in addition to the standard stock keyboard settings.

4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

(moved the thread to the Support and Troubleshooting area for you, voddrummer)

5. Jacki1008

Jacki1008 Well-Known Member

Wonder if this may be helpful.

To further configure your keyboard (beyond regular settings you've chosen)

For Android Keyboard:While entering text, touch and hold the ?123 key, then touch Android Keyboard Settings.

For Swype:
    While entering text, touch the Swype Key (one with finger and blue squiggle line) then touch Options.

6. rbcole123

rbcole123 Member

Has anyone figured this out? Happened to me as well and a factory reset didn't solve it. Under Android keyboard settings I have Vibrate and Sound unchecked and Quick fixes, Show suggestions and Auto-complete checked. When typing none of these work --i.e., they do the opposite. I'm going to bring back to Verizon