1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Tips Verzion Nexus Car Dock

1. OptimusNexus

OptimusNexus Well-Known Member

BUMP +1

Good catch man!!! I would have walked out of the store with this guy tomorrow and gotten home and been really mad. Anyone with the phone ordered the real deal dock and tried it yet???
  2. efdisaster

efdisaster Well-Known Member

Is Bell.ca the only place you can actually order the GSM car dock, right now (not that they ship to the US or anything)? All I see everywhere else is "pre-order" or "stock by 12/29" ... I dunno if there's a country where you could have both, right now, without some friends over the border?
  3. theWUbear

theWUbear Well-Known Member

this makes me want to blow a gasket, i just want the phone and the "gsm-specific" dock already. the problems never end with verizon. freaking sheesh
  4. lgiorgio24

lgiorgio24 Member

bummer
  5. cccoltsicehockey

cccoltsicehockey Active Member

Damn this was one of the reason I want this phone. Still getting it but really hope the gsm dock works.
  6. JSK

JSK Well-Known Member

I'd like some clarification on this well. Assuming the price difference isn't too crazy I would pay the difference for the GSM version if the LTE one will fit.
  7. STABBAAAR

STABBAAAR Member

Of course the only accessory I was going to buy got f'ed up by VZW. I'll keep looking for a "3-prong" mount online I guess.

It is so much better to plug audio and power cables into the base. You can just pop the phone in! ARG!!
  8. jasaero

jasaero Well-Known Member

VZW seems to have ordered cheapened docks that don't utilize the three prong stuff. What I am still trying to figure out is if the thicker LTE Galaxy Nexus phones are going to fit fine?? The three prong stuff should work the same.

I would like to know the power and audio use for the three prongs though as they seem to be used for both. If we figure that out custom or hacked universal docks could be done that didn't require cable messing when you dock the phone.
  9. jasaero

Here we go. None in stock, but a good price and seems they should have them before the end of the year.

Samsung Vehicle Car Mount for Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Nevermind that number ends STA rather than STD and seems to be missing the passthru and pins also.
  10. jasaero

11. JSK

JSK Well-Known Member

Is that the right one mnfg part # wise? Just the wrong pictures shown?
  12. jasaero

No. The correct number is in the listings in my subsequent posts. This is like the verizon one, but maybe with a different base. Basically cheapened with no pins and passthru for audio and power.
  13. civicsisedan

civicsisedan Well-Known Member

Anybody find a seller in the states yet?
  14. jedidove

jedidove Member

This crap is so f'ing annoying. Typical verizon. Even when they finally accept the chance to launch a killer phone, they can't take the time to get the details right.

Has anyone tried fitting the vz gnex into a gsm dock yet?

Also, a word of advice to those considering the TETRAX XWAY style mounts, those magnets looks like they are in exactly the same position as the NFC chip on the back of the battery...so if your thinking about doing it I'd test your NFC chip first, then mount it for a while, then test it again, and be possibly prepared to buy a new battery.
  15. gobluejd

gobluejd GOBLUE! VIP Member

Not true.

Read up on it first.

Tetrax - XWAY, EGO, GEO, FIX, FIXWAY, XCASE - FAQ
  16. gobluejd

Also there is NO MAGNET ON THE BACK OF THE PHONE!!!!!!!
  17. bcote311

bcote311 Well-Known Member

Is there a car dock that doesn't require sticking it to the windshield? Maybe in a cup holder or something
  18. gobluejd

19. jedidove

jedidove Member

ALurker explicitly mentioned he planned to put a magnet on the back of the phone. I realize that the XWAY includes a steel plate for that purpose instead.

I agree that there is likely no issue. Because of the quadrapole-esque layout and the steel (if steel is properly used as opposed to another magnet) there will be very little residual magnetic field. *However*, this doesn't guarantee it isn't enough to screw with NFC. I highly doubt NFC equipped phones were tested, given how few and recent they are.

NFC has two key differences that make it substantially different from just testing normal cell phone operation. First, it's purposely located as close to the back side of the phone as possible, directly on the battery. The rest of the phone technology is all at least a battery width or more away from the back side. Second, NFC chips are essentially BUILT to be extremely sensitive to magnetic fields (granted not static ones by design). They communicate by magnetic induction. And there is indeed some history that shows they can be easily magnetized enough to interfere with the phone's compass NFC Antenna (Back Cover) can be magnetized and will affect compass - xda-developers.

Again, I agree that the very slight residual effects of a properly used XWAY with a steel plate on the back of the phone will likely have no visible functional effect on the NFC chip, but it is a different enough situation from normal cell phone operation to warrant extra care and preparedness. Furthermore, if by some accident the phone was placed on the dock without a steel plate, or if a magnet was placed on it, etc. I'd definitely expect there to be some screwy stuff happening with the NFC chip.
    alostpacket likes this.
  20. acr89

acr89 Active Member

I wonder if the Samsung mount can be separated from its base... I want the 3 pin functionality but won't be mounting it on the windshield.
  21. SQurel23

SQurel23 Active Member

The ports for the usb and aux cables are on the bottom of the arm so it seems you'll have to use it as is.
    GhostInTheDark likes this.
  22. acr89

acr89 Active Member

Might be kind of an expensive accessory to cut up, but i was thinking of extending the wires between the contact points and the charging base and having the base located remotely.
  23. jennyfur

jennyfur Active Member

I'm just waiting for verification that the Verizon LTE version will fit (and work correctly) in the GSM dock before I buy one. Anybody find out yet?
  24. EmotionalNinja

EmotionalNinja Well-Known Member

Will it work with the Verizon one though? The LTE version is thicker than the GSM version, so wouldn't that cause issues? My Nexus fits very snug in the Verizon dock...
  25. Sal Khan

Sal Khan Member

I'm thinking the same thing now. I ordered one from Fommy .com but no idea on ETA. If it's a close enough fit where some filing down or cutting will make it work, I can live with that. But the ports in the base are kind of key for me.