• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Vide watching/converting help

jtsporsche

Apr 17, 2010
hello, i know there have been a few threads about this before, but i dont understand the technical lingo, so heres my problem.

i have a moto droid (original) and i was sent a video that was taken with the new samsung fascinate. when trying to view the video, my stock media player would only play the audio, no video.

however, the rockplayer app from the market will play video, and audio. but the video lags behind.

i have the vlc media player/converter on my pc.

what can i do to be able to watch this video flawlessly on my phone? preferably with the stock media player?

thank you

Try a utility like MediaInfo (Windows/Linux) or Gspot (Windows only). They can tell you in exhaustive detail about the minituae of media files. For example, after I upgraded Ubuntu linux last time, my encoding scripts stopped making video my Droid could understand.

I found that some defaults had changed; I was now generating H264 files with the "Main" profile, but the Droid only handles "Baseline" files. A few tweaks and I was back in business.

Presumably there's a similar small difference in this file that the Droid is picky about.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones