Vide watching/converting help

Last Updated:

1. jtsporsche

jtsporsche Member This Topic's Starter

hello, i know there have been a few threads about this before, but i dont understand the technical lingo, so heres my problem.

i have a moto droid (original) and i was sent a video that was taken with the new samsung fascinate. when trying to view the video, my stock media player would only play the audio, no video.

however, the rockplayer app from the market will play video, and audio. but the video lags behind.

i have the vlc media player/converter on my pc.

what can i do to be able to watch this video flawlessly on my phone? preferably with the stock media player?

thank you

Advertisement
  2. jtsporsche

by the way, heres all the info vlc gives me on the video

AUDIO
    codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)
    sample rate: 32000hz

VIDEO
    codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part10) (avc1)
    resolution:720x840
    frame rate: 29.438970

3. sorceror

sorceror Well-Known Member

Try a utility like MediaInfo (Windows/Linux) or Gspot (Windows only). They can tell you in exhaustive detail about the minituae of media files. For example, after I upgraded Ubuntu linux last time, my encoding scripts stopped making video my Droid could understand.

I found that some defaults had changed; I was now generating H264 files with the "Main" profile, but the Droid only handles "Baseline" files. A few tweaks and I was back in business.

Presumably there's a similar small difference in this file that the Droid is picky about.

4. jtsporsche

Getting mediainfo

5. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

if you had a movie formatted for say a BB or iPhone, could you convert it to the above form factor and vid details and make it take full screen on a Droid?

or do you have to use those settings from a fresh encoding?