• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Video Calling

In Sweden it rather looks like the past (it was after all introduced with 3G in 2003). A decent amount of people used it a few years ago (over the 3G net, not just wifi) but the usage of it these days seems very limited. I've basically stopped using it, even though I have free video calls to everyone on the same operator. Still I wouldn't mind if I could get an app for it for the Galaxy S since who knows, I might start use it again and options are always good. I doubt it will ever catch on big here though.

Upvote 0
In Sweden it rather looks like the past (it was after all introduced with 3G in 2003). A decent amount of people used it a few years ago (over the 3G net, not just wifi) but the usage of it these days seems very limited. I've basically stopped using it, even though I have free video calls to everyone on the same operator. Still I wouldn't mind if I could get an app for it for the Galaxy S since who knows, I might start use it again and options are always good. I doubt it will ever catch on big here though.

Yep its the same here in the UK video calling has been around since about 2004 and it has'nt taken off even with the new iPhone getting it i still expecting it to be more of a gimmick rather than a "revolution" lol.

Upvote 0
I think it is about to all change!

it takes someone like Apple to push this and do it well for mass adoption, in the UK it has been done poorly for years and very expensive!

now that we have the hardware/software/network and if its free and have some standardisation this will finally take off!

but in any case it is feature i would want a phone to have rather than not even more so now!

Upvote 0
I think it is about to all change!

it takes someone like Apple to push this and do it well for mass adoption, in the UK it has been done poorly for years and very expensive!

now that we have the hardware/software/network and if its free and have some standardisation this will finally take off!

but in any case it is feature i would want a phone to have rather than not even more so now!

erm..... its wifi only, and its not open. it only works iphone to iphone. i hardly call that a revolution when other companies have had this over 3G for some time now.

Upvote 0
erm..... its wifi only, and its not open. it only works iphone to iphone. i hardly call that a revolution when other companies have had this over 3G for some time now.

i dont think you understood my point i am talking about the quality and protocols it's irrelavent how apple choose to do use it!

and it is an open standard he mentioned that himself! it uses existing open protocols i dont think people are understanding this correctly. there will be 3rd party apps incorporating it which means it can be used across platforms.

as i said before there has been limitations in the past but now this can be overcome now that the tech has caught up however we need front facing cameras and android support, now that apple is pushing this we should see mass adoption. :)

Upvote 0
yes we should definately see cross platform as he stated they are pushing this as an open standard for everyone to use, it may be the case they will need a seperate app until they decide to allow the built in app to do it but thats standard apple practice!

in any case fring is doing this already! and we should see skype soon.

Upvote 0
ya let's hope it is not like that... htc is trying to find a fix on the issue, but it is not software related , right? i dont think htc can fix it via an ota sw update..

i don't even know since this wonderful open source android has a capability of making Nexus one record HD Video... i'm not even sure what they can do with these wonderful android devices!!! i'm afraid that one day androids will take over the world!! sorry that was lame....

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones