Video CallingSupport

Last Updated:

1. FuTuRe

FuTuRe Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i'm sure you have probably now seen awesome video calling on the new iphone

YouTube - Apple iPhone 4 FaceTime: Commercial

good thing it is using an open standard so we should see apps across platforms as well as other players such as skype, qik and fring.

cant wait to try this on the Galaxy S take that non front facing camera phone owners!! this is the FuTuRe! :)

Advertisement
  2. Evil Peter

Evil Peter Well-Known Member

In Sweden it rather looks like the past (it was after all introduced with 3G in 2003). A decent amount of people used it a few years ago (over the 3G net, not just wifi) but the usage of it these days seems very limited. I've basically stopped using it, even though I have free video calls to everyone on the same operator. Still I wouldn't mind if I could get an app for it for the Galaxy S since who knows, I might start use it again and options are always good. I doubt it will ever catch on big here though.

3. Smg

Smg Well-Known Member

Yep its the same here in the UK video calling has been around since about 2004 and it has'nt taken off even with the new iPhone getting it i still expecting it to be more of a gimmick rather than a "revolution" lol.

4. FuTuRe

I think it is about to all change!

it takes someone like Apple to push this and do it well for mass adoption, in the UK it has been done poorly for years and very expensive!

now that we have the hardware/software/network and if its free and have some standardisation this will finally take off!

but in any case it is feature i would want a phone to have rather than not even more so now!

5. =KLRS=ZERO

=KLRS=ZERO Well-Known Member

erm..... its wifi only, and its not open. it only works iphone to iphone. i hardly call that a revolution when other companies have had this over 3G for some time now.

6. zmartfone

zmartfone Member

even here in Israel where we dont get any of the HTC Desire or Galaxy S (in phone companies) we had the video call over 3G since loooooong time.. and its so useless..

7. FuTuRe

i dont think you understood my point i am talking about the quality and protocols it's irrelavent how apple choose to do use it!

and it is an open standard he mentioned that himself! it uses existing open protocols i dont think people are understanding this correctly. there will be 3rd party apps incorporating it which means it can be used across platforms.

as i said before there has been limitations in the past but now this can be overcome now that the tech has caught up however we need front facing cameras and android support, now that apple is pushing this we should see mass adoption. :)

8. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting to see if it can be used from Apple to another type of phone. Your post is the fist I've seen that indicates it may be otherwise. Hope you are right...even though I don't plan on purchasing an Apple.

9. galaxyS

galaxyS Well-Known Member

has it been confirmed that the galaxys s will actually have a front facing video camera or just a camera for pictures? and is it backwards as well just like the ummm the evo? lol

10. spiz

spiz Well-Known Member

As much as I hate everything about Apple, I must admit that I hope they allow cross-platform video calling. There are a lot of iPhone users out there, especially ones that I know in different states.

It would be cool to be able to video chat with everyone regardless of their carrier/phone.

11. galaxyS

^ agreed!
    ya it does have a VGA front facing camera.. cool!
    is it backwards though?

12. FuTuRe

yes we should definately see cross platform as he stated they are pushing this as an open standard for everyone to use, it may be the case they will need a seperate app until they decide to allow the built in app to do it but thats standard apple practice!

in any case fring is doing this already! and we should see skype soon.

13. galaxyS

so no one could confirm if the phone's front vid cam is backwards?? LOL

14. deeoh1084

deeoh1084 Well-Known Member

there's a video somewhere about front facing camera in galaxy s forum and i didn't pay attention to it

15. FuTuRe

ok what do you mean backwards!???

16. Smg

Smg Well-Known Member

I think he means with most video call cams it shows a mirrored image like well looking into a mirror ? lol. So if someone or something was behind me on my left they would appear to be on my right on the screen.

17. galaxyS

^^ ya just like the evo 4g.. its front cam is "mirrored" LOL

18. deeoh1084

oh yeah i saw that video too... i hope not!!! Lol it looked funny :D we gonna have to wait until actual galaxy s owners to answer this question.... i wanna know too

19. galaxyS

i think there is even an article about it in this site.. arent you guys looking at the main page of this site ? but instead ,jump quickly on the forum section? hehe

oh my bad, maybe not in this site, but on other site that talks about it..

20. galaxyS

ya let's hope it is not like that... htc is trying to find a fix on the issue, but it is not software related , right? i dont think htc can fix it via an ota sw update..

21. deeoh1084

i don't even know since this wonderful open source android has a capability of making Nexus one record HD Video... i'm not even sure what they can do with these wonderful android devices!!! i'm afraid that one day androids will take over the world!! sorry that was lame....

22. FuTuRe

elchingon666 and galaxyS like this.
  23. galaxyS

yup , not backwards! LOL...

it really is the best phone right now..

24. deeoh1084

yeah i was actually looking at that video thanks for the upload FuTuRe i saw in on another thread but that's the same video some guy posted

25. galaxyS