Video Calls

Last Updated:

1. EVOtravis

EVOtravis Member This Topic's Starter

I'm looking for some help regarding video calls. I know that you can make video calls from one EVO to another, but how to make video calls from the EVO to a person's laptop.

Also will it be possible to video chat w/ peeps using the new iphone. I know apple restricted iphone users to face time but thought someone would have hacked around that.

Advertisement
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Install Fring on your phone, get a Skype account, add your Skype login inside Fring (it will walk you through it) - and you'll be good to go.

I use it often, works great.

3. EVOtravis

Thanks...do i have to be rooted to do this? Is it possible to use fringe to video chat w/ peeps that use google video chat?

4. iboombastic

iboombastic Well-Known Member

NO you do NOT need root.

5. IPvFletch

IPvFletch Well-Known Member

This is what I did too! :D

6. EVOtravis

do i need to install the skype setup on my laptop or just create a login and download fring on my evo?

7. EarlyMon

I recommend Skype setup on your laptop first, then download Fring.

You'll have to get a free Fring login when you first start up. Don't bother with Fring-account to Fring-account unless you really have to. People are reporting echoing problems unless a headset is used (and I think, don't recall exactly that you want a wired headset with Fring-to-Fring).

Use Fring as a wrapper. Think of it just like your Mail app that can manage several accounts. Fring can manage all sorts of transports - Skype, AIM, Yahoo, etc, etc.

So - use Fring for Skype-to-Skype, either to other phones or to desktops, Mac, PC or Linux.

Last I used Google video chat from my desktop, it was pretty bad. Ditto on AIM video chat. (Although, iChat A/V's stuff on AIM works great, so go figure.) Or webcam on Yahoo.

I tried to go AIM-to-AIM with Fring and it didn't let me. I stopped trying anything besides Skype. You'll have to check if it supports Google video or not. I think it's only Skype for outside video.

In several conferences, I've been told that my video is sometimes way smoother from my phone. (I attribute that to always having about a bazillion windows and apps and documents running at once on my desktop. I think nothing of pushing my system beyond its limits, I don't baby it.)

Skype to Skype with Fring, you can put down the kickstand, and just go for it, via speaker phone or wired headset for privacy, both work great for me.

PS - As mentioned earlier, it's just an app. Go to the Market, search Fring - there's only one.

8. EVOtravis

ok i got fring and skype downloaded...subscribe to skype in settings (add on) but known of my skype friends are showing up on fring.

what am i missing? i added my friends skype username to the contact in my phone.

9. NvrEnough

NvrEnough Well-Known Member

Bump, Same here

10. EarlyMon

One guy, I think, reported the problem went away if logged into his desktop skype at the same time.

I don't. Skype is marvelous at not always updating status. I've had many desktop calls where i'm on the phone with a guy who's logged into skype not seeing me, but i can see him - I send him a message anyway, suddenly his whole contact list updates.

Skype has imperfections, but they're not common.

Last night, my buddy list didn't show up for 5 minutes - then only one showed up. I know they were online, these are co-workers. 5 minutes later, whole list just updated.

Have you left it idle for a good 5 to 10 minutes, or do you exit right away, or is it some epic fail where you stay on fring like forever and skype contacts never update?

Update: I just re-tested. I'm running the latest version and without being logged in anywhere else, my skype list updated the quickest.