Video capabilitiesSupport

Last Updated:

1. whtge8

whtge8 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I uploaded some .mpg videos into my phone but they wont play. What format do the videos have to be in? Or can you convert them to play on the EVO somehow?

Advertisement
  2. whtge8

Anyone?

3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

I was holding off because of being busy and hoping someone would post the right info - here's a swag, best I can do...

When we talk about media formats, it really means the container (file) type and the video and audio codecs contained).

Here's a list of codecs supported in Android -

Android Supported Media Formats | Android Developers

Problem with that list is that I don't believe it's complete - the core codec package changed for 2.2 - and I'm not clear where an official list is.

When all else fails - H.264 works. I have .mpg files on my phone that use that codec and play just fine. I recall that somewhere around 2.0 or 2.1 they broke support for MPEG-2 (I _think_).

I use this to convert vids, there are plenty of others and most folks hereabouts use handbrake - I'm just putting this out there because it works for me, I've used it for years - just in case you need a converter -

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

PS - also make sure you've got a good player - I use Meridian, others really like RockPlayer - sometimes a player can add codec support.

If you can examine the mpg file on your PC with QuickTime or maybe VLC, you can find out what codec it is and see if you find a player with that for Android.

I found a plays-nearly-anything player for Android - and naturally spaced bookmarking it or downloading it at the time. :p

4. sitlet

sitlet Banned

5. whtge8

Whoa... nevermind. All of that is chinese to me. Thought there would be an easier way. Thanks though.

6. sitlet

sitlet Banned

It's really not that hard if you read through the entire thread. all you do is load the video, set the resolution, bitrate and codec, then save the output file.

7. whtge8

I understood about 60% of your post. I am not familiar with any of those terms, also seen in that thread. Remember, not everybody that owns a phone like this is tech savvy.