Video chat on TransformSupport

Last Updated:

1. Kmfiremedic111

Kmfiremedic111 Well-Known Member

Has anyone had any luck finding an app that will allow video chat on the transform? Qik and fring do not give you that option. Qik is coming out with a beta version for this phone and others soon.

Advertisement
  2. berger1980

berger1980 Active Member

No app will work, it's in the kernel, not enabled for video chat yet. You can take stills with it, do wifi video chat, but not 3g.
    uniquenameEVO likes this.
  3. Kmfiremedic111

Ok. What is the "Kernal"?? Also if you can't do it on 3G, but you can on wifi then what apps will allow it on wifi? Does anyone know for fact if the transform will ever be able to do it on 3G? On samsungs website it directly says in the transforms description "front facing camera is great for video conferencing".
  4. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

Wifi chat works??? I never tried that.

Where did you read it was the kernel?
  5. berger1980

berger1980 Active Member

Developer forum and Sprint engineer. Will work in froyo.
  6. Kmfiremedic111

English please. LOL! What apps will allow it to work in wifi. What is froyo? Is that android 2.2? Will it eventually work in 3g some time soon?:eek:
  7. TheRH

TheRH Well-Known Member

Yes FroYo (Frozen Yogurt, is the code name) for Android 2.2
    Kmfiremedic111 likes this.
  8. Kmfiremedic111

Cool. Thanks. So back to the video chats on wifi. How do you do it? What apps? Also I just saw a video about android 2.2 One guy said it will give the ability to tether things on a mobile hotspot. Does this mean that ALL android phones with 2.2 will get that ability? I am VERY new to android stuff so please forgive me.
  9. [TheAndroid]

[TheAndroid] Well-Known Member

Yes, it will have the ability to tether other devices in a mobile hotspot. The downside is of course, you carrier running you a huge bill, which is why by rooting your phone and downloading a few different apps, you can tether for free, which if you ask me is alot better than paying some... $30 for giving your various devices wifi. Also don't worry about asking questions, this is a place to discuss and ask anything Android related. :)
  10. thecraigj

thecraigj Active Member

Fring on the Transform DOES work... but only on the outgoing signal. The incoming video signal looks like an old scrambled cable station, and it uses the back camera instead of the front facing one.
    I tried it between a Transform and my Epic.
    :)
    Hopefully it will work with 2.2
  11. rcooch5

rcooch5 New Member

Tango works decently with my evo to my wifes transform...
  12. uniquenameEVO

Was she using 3G or wifi?
  13. rcooch5

rcooch5 New Member

It worked with us both on wifi and with her on 3g and me on wifi....
    uniquenameEVO and Kmfiremedic111 like this.
  14. uniquenameEVO

I must check signal strength on 3G at my GF's place.
  15. thecraigj

thecraigj Active Member

I tried Tango and it was nasty. I tried every combo of wifi, 3G and 4G between my Epic and my wife's Transform and nothing ever worked better than "choppy as hell". :(
  16. Fleagle

Fleagle New Member

Really, what is the point of putting a front-facing camera on a phone that you won't find a reason (or method) to use? Going to try Tango tonight, but seems strange that it's up to some third party to make something worthwhile.
  17. Kmfiremedic111

My hope is 2.2 will speed up the transform and give access to other video chat apps like Fring, Yahoo, Etc. Right now the video chat feature on this phone is worthless.
  18. baldmadman

baldmadman New Member

i cant even get tango to recognize the contacts, any ideas?
  19. ggreason

ggreason New Member

I just got my Transform yesterday and had the same worries, but did some research on the quality of the Transform on the net and found out there are still some bugs with it they are working out such as "angry birds," drivers to connect to PC, and video chats but I could connect to my PC and Tango video chat works well on my Transform (knock on wood).
  20. Sleerts

Sleerts New Member

So... Wife's phone just got Froyo - Samsung Transform.

Tried Qik, still unable to make outgoing video calls...

Anyone explain? Not having a problem with Qik on my EVO...
  21. mello_fellow

mello_fellow Member

Tango works for me even with out wifi but it is alot better with wifi as you would think.....give it a try
    Randall@Tango likes this.
  22. shy_pod

shy_pod New Member

Just use yahoo messenger. It may be slow, however, I was able to hold a six minute call on it; I believe it can run for as long as you need it to. The person I chatted said the video and audio from my end were out of sync, but I believe it's still a viable alternative until something more robust is released.
  23. Saint59

Saint59 New Member

i find a app that works its called tango tell everybody to tell everybody
    Randall@Tango likes this.
  24. Spaeth5

Spaeth5 New Member

I just got a Samsung Transform. I've downloaded Qik, Tango and ooVo for video chat. I have Android 2.2. Out of all 3 Qik, worked the best, but my camera switches to forward facing and the other person only sees a black screen. I can see the other person and it appears we can hear each other fine. Any suggestions? Tango was awful and ooVo was right behind it.