• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I would like to think yes. Skype is my service of choice, I use it as my primary communications tool right now. Whenever I was deployed to Japan, I used my iPhone and iPod touch connected to the lobby's wifi to make skype calls to my wife's computer. I talked to her every day and never paid a penny.

But here's the problem, Verizon has an exclusive deal with skype for their phones, and I've never used the skype lite program that's available for Android(the evo will be my first android phone). So while it'll be possible, I don't know if contracts will get in the way if it happening.

Upvote 0
i think in the beginning, the evo will have its own proprietary video chat software. we'll probably only be able to vidchat with other evo users. PROBABLY. and i'm sure it will work better on 4g.

it will probably be a matter of time until other developers write something else. possibly something compatible with gmail vid chats and AIM or ichat?

Upvote 0
For "Video Calls" you will use Qik. Right now its just a live streaming mobile video app. But soon after the Evo is released there will be a special Evo Qik app where you can video chat. It won't use any of your minutes cause it will be all data off of 3g and 4g.

I would suggest going to Qik.com and claiming your username.

A special Evo version of Qik will come pre-installed on the Evo.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones