• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Video Chatting on GSIII

RamOG

Jun 10, 2012
NC
Of course so far Droid hasn't come out with competition for Facetime.

Other than skype, anyone have any idea if either Android or Samsung is having any facetime type of app coming out with the GS3? I searched online with no luck.

Are we going to have to rely on Skype and Qik (with sprint) as usual?

In Contacts there is a Video Call button below the phone and SMS buttons. And in the dialler it is to the left of the phone dial button at the bottom.

I have no idea how this is paid for though. Would it be some extortionate phone rate or would it use data? I wonder because it is on the dialler, which implies you can dial a phone number and then video call. I remember when 3 first started up that was the big gimmick about 3g - that we would all be video calling each other. (As an aside, that's another thing that Apple didn't invent. Just because they call it Face Time, doesn't change the fact that NEC had it first on the first 3g phone, soon to be followed by LG.)

I seem to recall that video call minutes were separate, and cost a lot more.

Reactions: RamOG
Upvote 0
Yep - use to have video calling on my old Nokia 4+ years ago when 3G first came out on a Vodafone contract.

Even though I think I had 50 mins of video calls included on my contract each month I did not really use it of see the point.

Might be a bit different now that I have 3 year old twins and am going to Ibiza for a few days in a few weeks time for my mates 40th - I might have to video call over WiFi to talk to them each night.

Upvote 0
Exactly lol. I do wish there was a more direct call thing where it recognized all Nexus or Android phones with front facing cameras and they could video call. Not everyone uses Google+.

True, but google talk is one of the apps that is already installed and you have to have a gmail for the play store, so it's already setup without them even knowing it. ha

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones