Video Conversion, SUCCESS!!!Tips

Last Updated:

1. drolsen

drolsen New Member This Topic's Starter

Just thought this might help some of you out there that have been trying to convert videos to play in the desire. I just got my desire a week ago and wanted to play any movie. I looked here on the forum and saw suggestions for many converters. I selected handbreak, I should have known better because of all of the comments and questions concerning this program. I was always able to convert the video but the sound never came through. The sound was like it was in slow motion, no matter how i tried to configure the settings. Very frustrating, considering that it took over an hour to see if my settings worked. I also tried videora, it would never even start, it would keep telling me that i had too many audio tracks or something like that. I was about to just give up when i found the program DVD Catalyst (go all the way down to the bottom of the web page and you can get a free version). It didnt have the desire listed but i downloaded it for the incredible. I was suprised that it didnt ask me anything about settings other than where is the file I want to convert, and away it went. It worked!!! One time, no settings to monkey with or adjusting and sound! Hope this helps someone that has been struggling with this like I was.

Advertisement
    Euphobia, Vicdude and SUroot like this.
  2. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Well-Known Member

Handbrake works fine for me,not sure why it didn't for you.Good you got it sorted though!

3. darkan9el

darkan9el New Member

I use Format Factory a freebie but an Awesome program. Website is a bit 1990's but it's a great piece of software. Its a definite install on my PC try it out and let me know how you get on.

I used to use SUPER but this is easier to use.

jim_h likes this.
  4. zholy

zholy New Member

Handbrake is difficult to me,i used aneesoft easy to use.....

5. rasobey

rasobey Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that Handbrake really is hard to use at all.. Some very simple steps, and make sure you're using th latest version:

1) Choose your input video/DVD rip folder.
    2) Select iPhone on the right hand side preset window.
    3) Give it a destination file name.
    4) Press Encode.

Simples!

Granted, if you are encoding a DVD rip you'll need to select the chapter - in the case of a full length movie Handbrake does a good job of automatically selecting it for you. It just chooses the longest chapter.

6. turbohobbit

turbohobbit Well-Known Member

Handbrake didn't work for me I'm afraid.

7. GuitarDemon

GuitarDemon Member

Don't bother converting, just get RockPlayer. Don't get the Universal one from the market though, it's crap. Google "RockPlayer 1.0.31" which is the most stable version in my opinion. Plays anything you throw at it.

8. HTC_Desire

HTC_Desire Well-Known Member

+1

I watch a ton of stuff on my Desire and Rockplayer handles everything Ive thrown at it.

9. garryknight

garryknight Well-Known Member

As a Linux user, here's what I do if I want to put a video onto my Desire and it's not in mp4 format:

Code (Text):
    1. ffmpeg -y -i $1 -vcodec mpeg4 -s 720x480 -r 15 -b 700k -acodec libfaac -ac 2 -ar 32000 -ab 64k -f 3gp $OUTFILE
    It creates a .3gp file suitable for playback in the default video player. Just thought I'd post it in case it helps someone else.