• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Video Demo: HTC Evo playback of HD/720p movies over HDMI out

Try the files I've linked to and see if they work. It sounds like an HDMI sync/handshake issue. Given my limited experience with the Samsungs, my guess is that the 720p video will hopefully work, but the 480p one won't. Let us know what happens.

After the HTC update, I connected HDMI cable yesterday and it played youtube videos at 480p and 720p. (It also gave me the option in the notification bar to select "automatic" "480p" and "720p".

I was shocked to see this, but this was part of the fix in that update.

I couldn't do anything before.

If you have it at automatic, it plays all videos at 480p. (fill up my HDTV screen)

At 720p, it's a square in the middle.

Upvote 0
After the HTC update, I connected HDMI cable yesterday and it played youtube videos at 480p and 720p. (It also gave me the option in the notification bar to select "automatic" "480p" and "720p".

I was shocked to see this, but this was part of the fix in that update.

I couldn't do anything before.

If you have it at automatic, it plays all videos at 480p. (fill up my HDTV screen)

At 720p, it's a square in the middle.

I know I was shocked as well. I could never get anything that wasn't 720p to play on my TV because my tv is older and will not accept 480p over HDMI. Last night i was playing around trying to get it to work and decided to press on the HDMI connected notification and low and behold I could force it to just send 720p... Now everything plays

Upvote 0
I'm transcoding movies that are already in 720p, just in a different container or using a different codec, so the settings for resolution might be a little different.

When you load up Handbrake, I first click on the iPhone preset -- this should load the settings for H.264 baseline profile.

For the Picture tab, I set the "Width" size to 1280 and the "Anamorphic" setting to "Loose." This should grey out everything else, and I leave the "Cropping" to Automatic.

I leave the Video Filters tab alone (for now, still experimenting).

For the Video tab, I set the "Video Codec" to H.264 and the "Framerate" to the same as source. I'm still playing "Quality" setting. So far I'm using an Avg Bitrate of 5250 kbps, with 2-pass encoding.

People say that the constant quality setting produces the best results, but I'm worried that there's not as much control over the bit rate, and I want to be mindful of the 6000 kbps limit of the Evo (if that limit even exists, I haven't experimented with exceeding this threshold yet).

For the Audio tab, I leave the source to Automatic; the Audio Codec to AAC; Mixdown to Stereo; Sample rate to 44.1 Khz; Bitrate at 160. I believe the sample rate and bitrates are flexible though, so you can try other things.

Ignore the Subtitles and Chapters tabs.

I'm still playing with the Advanced tab, seeing whether increasing the reference frames will help or not. But even without that, these settings should produce a decent 720p clip to play on your Evo.

Do be warned though that your movies should not exceed 2 GB, as a FAT limitation on your microSD card.

Hmm.. this is interesting. What leads you to believe this? How can we test for this? Why would HDCP be implicated on 480p but not 720p input over HDMI?

Hey Neo,

You mentioned that you started of encoding video files that were already 720p. Can you tell me what were the original (before you encoded them) source resolutions of those files? Were they 1280x720 or like 1280x528 or something to that nature. Im desperatly trying to encode my 720p movies to a 16:9 resolution where the black bars are minimal at best. i want my 720p movies to look just like the PS3 gran turismo trailer you put up in terms of filling up the whole screen. When i upload one of my movie files files on handbrake i get a source resolution of 1280x528 and try to adjust the resolution to 1280x720 but it doesnt let me. Any suggestions on what i could do.

Upvote 0
Hey Neo,

You mentioned that you started of encoding video files that were already 720p. Can you tell me what were the original (before you encoded them) source resolutions of those files? Were they 1280x720 or like 1280x528 or something to that nature. Im desperatly trying to encode my 720p movies to a 16:9 resolution where the black bars are minimal at best. i want my 720p movies to look just like the PS3 gran turismo trailer you put up in terms of filling up the whole screen. When i upload one of my movie files files on handbrake i get a source resolution of 1280x528 and try to adjust the resolution to 1280x720 but it doesnt let me. Any suggestions on what i could do.

that depends on how the movie was shot. A lot of movies are shot in 16x9, which would completely fill a widescreen tv, but a lot of movies are shot in 2.39:1, which gives you black bard on the top and bottom even on a widescreen tv. If your video file is 1280x528, that means you will have black bars in order to keep the aspect ratio correct. If you want that to fill the screen, you have two choices: Stretch or crop. You can stretch it up, but that will make the movie unwatchable. You can also zoom and crop the sides, which will still look correct, but you will lose almost half of the movie on the left and right.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
that depends on how the movie was shot. A lot of movies are shot in 16x9, which would completely fill a widescreen tv, but a lot of movies are shot in 2.39:1, which gives you black bard on the top and bottom even on a widescreen tv. If your video file is 1280x528, that means you will have black bars in order to keep the aspect ratio correct. If you want that to fill the screen, you have two choices: Stretch or crop. You can stretch it up, but that will make the movie unwatchable. You can also zoom and crop the sides, which will still look correct, but you will lose almost half of the movie on the left and right.

I have a movie thats 1280*528 or something. After i encode it, i play it on vlc media player aand the default resolution gives me the black bars on the top and bottom because im assuming it has a 2:39:1 resolution and not 16:9 which is the one i want. But then again, vlc media player has an aspect ratio option which allows me to change it to 16:9. If vlc can do this shouldnt handbrake have some way of configuring 16:9 aspect ratio on an 2:39:1 file?

Upvote 0
It does, uncheck Keep Aspect Ratio, or crop it. But again, I would advise against this because you are either going to stretch it and make everything look skinny, or crop and lose half of the picture.

then i guess i have no choice but to stretch it. when i "stretch" it (put to 16:9) on VLC media player it looks fine to me. Since all the blu ray movie files i have are movies where the top and bottom black bars show i have to stretch it. can you give me a step by step guide on how to actually do this in the picture tab? im very new to handbrake

Upvote 0
it was originally on none when i tried changing it to 720. when i set it to loose, the height and keep aspect ratio options get faded out and i cant click on them.

I really dont know why you are having this problem. I just loaded a blu-ray into Handbrake and it worked just fine. UNCHECK Keep Aspect Ratio, then put Anamorphic to NONE. I just did it and can change the resolution to whatever I want. You can also put anamorphic to custom.

Upvote 0
I really dont know why you are having this problem. I just loaded a blu-ray into Handbrake and it worked just fine. UNCHECK Keep Aspect Ratio, then put Anamorphic to NONE. I just did it and can change the resolution to whatever I want. You can also put anamorphic to custom.

nope doesnt work for me. the source resolution of the file is 1280x534 and the maximum height it lets me punch in is 534 if i do 535 it switches back.

Upvote 0
nope doesnt work for me. the source resolution of the file is 1280x534 and the maximum height it lets me punch in is 534 if i do 535 it switches back.

Ok then you will have to zoom and crop, or use another software. Theres hundreds of programs that will let you do that. Videohelp.com is a great resource for them.

Keep in mind, the stock video player will automatically do this for you, just hit the zoom button in the lower left. So technically you dont have to re-encode it, just put it on the phone and hit the zoom button.

Upvote 0
Ok then you will have to zoom and crop, or use another software. Theres hundreds of programs that will let you do that. Videohelp.com is a great resource for them.

Keep in mind, the stock video player will automatically do this for you, just hit the zoom button in the lower left. So technically you dont have to re-encode it, just put it on the phone and hit the zoom button.

yea thats what i did. im using Xvid4PSP to encode bluray. its much easier to use IMO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones