• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Video editor?

I'm afraid theirs no such Video editing app as far as I know :(

I wish Google Will make one for us though
xmassmile.gif

Upvote 0
I am looking for an application that will allow simple video editing to clip part of the video that is not relevant prior to posting or sharing
Mark

No one is going to make one because of the fragmentation in Android.
You have cameras in different phones that uses different codecs. Some record in 3gp, some in h.263, and in the future h.264 at different resolution. Editing h.264 is different than editing 3gp. And even within h.264, you have ONPV6.

Google recently announced a open-source codec a few months ago, IF every phone manufacture agrees to use it, then yes, maybe, a developer will make a video editor. For now, it is just too hard to develop an app if you need 40-50 different phones to test against.

This is just my opinion and I hope I am wrong on this.

Upvote 0
I think u r wrong speedmaster. You've mentioned 3 codecs, big wow, that would be easy for a video editing app.

In comparing the ip4 and SGS, this video editing is becoming more of a deal breaker than I perhaps realise... the latest electricpig video showing ip4 footage shot and edited with an ip4 is just stunning.

Upvote 0
@Mr.Transistor

You beat me to it, I was about to mention the Youtube video editor feature thing. I haven't tried it out myself but was interested if others have, and if it runs on flash.

i am definitely about to use it. i'm sure there isn't much to be done with it, but just that it is and exists is awesome!!! and it has more potential than almost anything i have seen in the past year!

Upvote 0
No one is going to make one because of the fragmentation in Android.
You have cameras in different phones that uses different codecs. Some record in 3gp, some in h.263, and in the future h.264 at different resolution. Editing h.264 is different than editing 3gp. And even within h.264, you have ONPV6.

Google recently announced a open-source codec a few months ago, IF every phone manufacture agrees to use it, then yes, maybe, a developer will make a video editor. For now, it is just too hard to develop an app if you need 40-50 different phones to test against.

This is just my opinion and I hope I am wrong on this.

I Disagree with this opinion. There will be video editors for Android in the near future.

Upvote 0
@Yunlin12
If you have a Windows machine, dump it the file there and use Windows Movie Maker to do your editing. It's a great FREE app from MS and fun to use - you can add transitions, music, captions and more. When you're done, upload it wherever you want. I have used it many times for fun vids of wakeboarding, my daughter's birth, and more.

I am so disappointed to not find an editor for my original Droid which would really be handy for those quick vids of my little one doing her thing baby thing.

Upvote 0
This is very annoying considering that my phone seems to record better quality video than my actual camera, yet my mac doesn't want to know it.

My Droid1 saves the files as .3gp files, which after some reading, I learn is a special MPEG-4 wrapper. What I did on my mac was connect via USB, copy the desired movie file over and changed the file extension to .mov

I can then edit with iMovie.

Hope this helps!
~megan

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones