• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Video editor

If you just want to joint a few clips together, then you're not looking for the video editor, that is for video editing. You need the movie editor. CYANOGEN ROM comes with a decent movie editor, it's just called the movie editor. There are a few in the play store, just do a search for movie editor. Most of them are called movie editor. There is a decent one by goseet call, you guess it, movie editor. It costs $2.99, and there are bunch free ones, so go check them out at the play store.

Upvote 0
I've always thought video editors on Android to be lacking in the past. there's a few available now, and there's Movie Studio which comes with AOSP, but these are only quite recent. My old Symbian Nokia N95 from 2007 had a reasonable video editor, enough to put clips together, cut and trim, add effects and titles, etc, and that was pre-Android. I replaced it with a flagship Samsung Galaxy S in mid-2010, and there was basically nothing. If I wanted to put some clips together, I had to use my PC with MS Movie Maker or Mac with iMovie or whatever.

iOS hasn't always had video editing and iMovie, the first iPhone couldn't even shoot video, while most Symbian Nokias could.

Upvote 0
I've always thought video editors on Android to be lacking in the past. there's a few available now, and there's Movie Studio which comes with AOSP, but these are only quite recent. My old Symbian Nokia N95 from 2007 had a reasonable video editor, enough to put clips together, cut and trim, add effects and titles, etc, and that was pre-Android. I replaced it with a flagship Samsung Galaxy S in mid-2010, and there was basically nothing. If I wanted to put some clips together, I had to use my PC with MS Movie Maker or Mac with iMovie or whatever.

iOS hasn't always had video editing and iMovie, the first iPhone couldn't even shoot video, while most Symbian Nokias could.
Who cares if they always had it, it's 2014 now and they do have it - along with bigger screens to take better advantage of it as well. They've had iMovie since at least the iPhone 4S, which does shoot video, and its a great mobile video editor. They sure leapfrog get the competition in record time, and didn't falter... Impressive?

Nothing on Android (or any other mobile platform, at that) currently compares favorably with it. There's also nothing as good as GarageBand on this platform.

3rd parties really can't replicate them as well because there are APIs in iOS with no equivalents in Android at the moment, and their multimedia subsystems are superior.

Better media editors are needed, and I hope Android L makes that possible.

It's not just about trimming and adding effects. Adjusting Slow Motion, Zooming in within the video, more sophisticated audio tools in the editor, synching properly with a desktop app.

It really peeves me that Adobe is developing one but of course it's iOS only for the moment...

Upvote 0
Think GarageBand is something specific and rather vertical. I've got it on my old Snow Leopard MacBook. But never use it though, mainly because I don't know anything about music. And probably most other people I know are the same, except for one friend who's a recording engineer.

My own video editing needs are actually quite modest, usually adding Chinese captions to short clips of Fawlty Towers and the like. And I've used iMovie for that.

But if you do need things like music production on the go, then no choice really, it's iOS.

Upvote 0
If you want to make your own highlight reels or Video Montages on your phone or tablet with your own music cuts then you need the better audio tools in iMovie or GarageBand. Those are consumer tools not meant for professionals so it's not about needing Premier or Audition on a phone 😂

It's kind of useless to throw out a bunch of elements in a Montage without the ability to slow them down when they're complicated and happen in 0.6 seconds each (skateboarding, surfing, gymnastics, figure skating, ski aerials, etc.) And the music in apps like Zoe and the Samsung Gallery is terrible 😮

Shouldn't have to switch platforms for that. No one needs to switch from Windows to Mac just to have decent Audio or Video Editing options.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones