Video format options on Incredible

Last Updated:

1. MennoMan

MennoMan Member This Topic's Starter

I have an Incredible. Videos I record get saved as .3GP files, which I've never heard of before. When I try to play them on my PC, I've found that Windows Media Player won't play the audio in them. QuickTime is able to share them, but I'd like to share my videos with others and am concerned that others won't be able to play them. Is there a way to change the file type that my videos are created in to a more common video file type? How do the rest of you share videos?

Advertisement
  2. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Convert them using a video format converter. Or alternatively, upload them to Youtube, since it understands 3GP if you want to share them with others. Much better than sending them the video as a email attachment anyway. Its a very commonly hated practice to send large attachments without the other person knowing ahead of time.

3. MennoMan

MennoMan Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, but I'm not too keen on posting the video to YouTube because my daughter is in it and her name is mentioned. It's surprising to me that the phone/OS won't produce a more mainstream file format.

4. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

3GP is actually very mainstream. Its an MPEG-4 container, so its pretty standard. My old RAZR from 2004 even supports it. But its really only supported mainly on mobile phones, go figure. If you don't want to post it on Youtube (you can make videos private so they need an email code or unlisted so they are not searchable, FYI), your only other choice is transcoding each video individually. SUPER is one, if you can navigate their site. :eek: