Video Formats SupportedTips

Last Updated: 2011-09-29 00:43:40
  1. kmbutts

kmbutts Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! Just thought I'd share the video formats supported by EVO for those who may not know:

You can play these high-definition MP4 video formats in:

H.263 profile 0 @ 30 fps, WVGA (800x480), max 2 Mbps
    MPEG-4 simple profile @ 30 fps, 720p (1280x720), max 6 Mbps
    H.264 baseline profile @ 30 fps, 720p (1280x720), max 6 Mbps

One more day to go!!! Whooo Hoooo!!!:D:D

Advertisement
  2. reiththestud

reiththestud Well-Known Member

Thanks for that info. That means I can do 1:1 resolution DVD rips! Should look pretty decent on an hdtv with the hdmi cable.
  3. ovelay

ovelay Member

Please excuse my n00biness, but... Now what? So we've got this info, how do we use it? Is this plugged into some software to rip a DVD to the highest quality the EVO can support? What about movies downloaded from the nets? .AVIs for example?

If anyone could please elaborate as I'm very new to this kind of functionality in a portable device and am anxious to get some movies both from DVD rips and downloaded content on my EVO playing at the highest quality possible.

Thanks in advance.
  4. Griggs2121

Griggs2121 Well-Known Member

+1

I'd like to know how to rip my DVD's onto my EVO as well!
  5. cmanbrazil

cmanbrazil Well-Known Member

that translates into, I have mp4 for my ipod, will try one the evo to see if they work.lol
  6. kmbutts

Are you familiar with downloading using torrent sites?

If so, you can download movies with any of the formats that I listed above, then connect your EVO to the pc and transfer to the micro sd card!

Or you can go to this site:
    i4iPhones

and download movies from the movie megathreads! BTW, I downloaded from Ares's Movies, good selection of new and older movies!
  7. reiththestud

reiththestud Well-Known Member

If you have .avi's and other files, download handbrake( HandBrake ) to convert those files to a compatible format like those listed above. If you want to do dvd's, use a program called dvd decrypter to rip your dvd's to your hard drive without the encryption. Then use handbrake again, using the posted specs to convert your ripped dvd to a compatible format.
    There are a lot of guides for handbrake if you just google "handbrake guide".
    The cool thing is if you have a mac, and you have VLC media player already installed, handbrake will use the dvd decoder from VLC automatically, meaning all you have to do is pop in your disc, and use handbrake to rip the movie directly from the disc into a compatible file, without having to use dvd decrypter.

It's all a little daunting at first, but trust me it's simple. Just follow the guides online, or do what I just posted. Generally, the iPhone/iPod Touch preset in handbrake will do the trick just fine, but it will reduce the resolution to 480w by xxxh. If you use the "High Profile" preset, it will keep your files at the same resolution as your source file.
    ovelay likes this.
  8. amit84

amit84 Member

CAN you play .mkv files on the evo?
  9. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

Nice information. Did you get the bitrate information through testing, or through some published information?

CNet posted some trials of the HDMI out on the Evo: Hands-on with the HTC Evo 4G's HDMI-out | Crave - CNET

That quote worried me at first, but perhaps it's just a bitrate issue? Maybe the 720p content they tried playing had too high a bitrate?
  10. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess, "No."
  11. ovelay

ovelay Member

Thank you very much for the informative input. Quite helpful.
  12. kronium

kronium Well-Known Member

I hope the Coreplayer guys are working on a root player. The limited playback options on Android is getting old.
  13. Griggs2121

Griggs2121 Well-Known Member

I'm going to give it a shot, thanks guys!
  14. kmbutts

AVS4YOU also makes an excellent video converter. the site is www.avs4you.com
  15. Jeph Ghost

Jeph Ghost Well-Known Member

I'm having tons of inconsistencies when trying to encode and playback videos. A recent batch of avi files (640x368) I encoded via Handbrake don't work at all (I encoded them at the same resolution, just to mp4's). They show up in the media player with a gray thumbnail and "!" icon.

Weirdly enough, I was then able to get one of the individual files to play nicely, a 640x368 mp4 from the same batch and I can't see any major difference in encoding. It's really frustrating having one file work and the other not; it's tough to figure out what will play and what won't.

These small resolutions shouldn't be an issue for the Evo to play. I really wish it was a bit more reliable in playback compatibilities.

Any advice?
  16. RickJ

RickJ Well-Known Member

I had the same problem until I reduced the frame rate. My current evo profile is h264 1280x720 23.97fps 1500kbps.

I'm using a different converter, however there is a thread somewhere on here about settings for handbrake.
  17. Jeph Ghost

Jeph Ghost Well-Known Member

To those having issues (audio with blank screen, stuttering) I HIGHLY recommend checking out this detail posted by another forum member here:

HandBrake • View topic - H.264 on Portable Devices

The issue is fairly technical, but it does refer to a specific setting in the Advanced tab. You can avoid this issue if you use the iPod/iPhone preset as a starting point.
  18. tphone

tphone Active Member

If you have a recent nVidia card on your PC (8800 or better) check out 'BadaBoom, it uses 'Cuda' to encode videos faster than can be believed using the cores on your video card. I've done a 2 hour movie in 5 minutes. If you've ever tried it any other way, you know thats AMAZING!
  19. actionyakson

actionyakson New Member

So once you convert the video to mp4 or whatever format,
    How do you load the video on the sd and play it back on the EVO?
    What folder to you create or put the video file in on the SD card?
    What program/tool do you use to bring the video up and play it back on the EVO???
    does your phone need to be rooted?
    is this rooting device safe?- unrevoked
    Thanks!
  20. corelle23

corelle23 New Member

it plays 3GPP Audio/Video (.3GP)
  21. Jim_Phone

Jim_Phone Well-Known Member

The extremely limited video formats supported remains a serious limitation for Android. I'm new to the platform, and I don't really see reason why it needs to continue like this. If Linux and other OS's can support playbck of avi, wmv etc why can't Android at this stage of development?
  22. slthomas1

slthomas1 Member

Where did you find this info? Will the EVO support wmv files?
  23. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Has there been any update to the supported formats now that Froyo is out?

With h.264 video, it has been said the EVO supports baseline profile. I know it works with level 3.1 but will baseline at 4.1, 5.1 work reliably?
  24. Michkid

Michkid New Member

I'm looking to buy a home security-camera system which can be remotely accessed using 3GPP functionality, or some similar method. Can anyone advise me as to what specs I should be looking for in the video system to allow me to access it via my EVO?

Also, any advice/direction on what steps to take to use the EVO for remote access?