• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Video from G2 won't open

dannebanne

Lurker
May 19, 2014
Hello,
Yesterday I took a couple of films with my LG G2. Today when I tried to play them, the following error message appears "file type not supported". I've tried to open the files from my phone on my computer but it wont work neither. And when I try to copy the file from the phone to my computer nothing happens. These errors only seem to happen with my footage from yesterday because when I record new filns today everything works fine. What can I do to open the files again? What cause the errors? The videos were in filmed in 1080p @60fps and were approximately 100mB large. Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm guessing your PC can't open the videos you recorded today either.

Am I right?

Probably the PC doesn't have a player for .MP4s installed.

And somehow, your phone got it's player of .MP4s confused / or you disabled the default player. If you disabled the Videos player, you will find it in Settings | Application management scroll all the way to the right under DISABLE and you should see it there. Select it and re-ENABLE it.

Otherwise, if Android is confused for some other reason: I'd go to the market, find a player that will play .MP4s (try MX Player) and download it.

Go into your Gallery and press on the video file, and a dialog will appear, and there you can select Videos (the default player if it hasn't been disabled), or the new MX Player you just downloaded. If you select MX Player and Always, from now on, it will be the application associated with playback of .MP4 files. If you select Just Once, it will be the player to play this particular file, and you'll be asked when playing other .MP4s what player to use. You can use this dialog to revert back to Videos as the default application to play videos, then you can uninstall MX Player if you like.

Upvote 0
Hi, Thanks for your answer.
My PC (and my phone) can perfectly open the files I recorded today and in the past (except for those from yesterday). It seems like yesterdays file somehow corrupted. I've tried to play the videos on the default player, VLC and MXplayer. None of them will play the file. What's weird is that MXplayer wont even detect the file when I look for it in the app. Any advice?

Upvote 0
Yes the file is .MP4
Here's one of the (corrupted?) files details:
Title: 20140517_010748
Type: video/mp4
Duration: 00:18
Resolution: 1920x1080
Size: 61.27MB
Path: /storage/emulated/0/DCIM/Camera/20140517_010748.mp4
I am getting the same exact issue with my lg2. Also Google Play will not search. I wonder if they are connected somehow? When I tap to play recorded video from my camera, a red line pops up at the top of the screen and its simply says "cannot play video".

Upvote 0
Yes the file is .MP4
Here's one of the (corrupted?) files details:
Title: 20140517_010748
Type: video/mp4
Duration: 00:18
Resolution: 1920x1080
Size: 61.27MB
Path: /storage/emulated/0/DCIM/Camera/20140517_010748.mp4
I am getting the same exact issue with my lg2. Also Google Play will not search. I wonder if they are connected somehow? When I tap to play recorded video from my camera, a red line pops up at the top of the screen and it simply says "cannot play video". I went into the settings menu to see if I could find any information about video player settings. I couldn't find anything specific. Do you have any other suggestions?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones