Video in low light settings - too dark or not at all

Last Updated:

1. nelcatjar

nelcatjar Member This Topic's Starter

Video settings are very limited. None will seem to compensate for a low light envrionment. There is "white balance" video settings but has little effect.

By low light, I mean like in a bar, dance hall, restaurant, where the lights are dimmed low. On the Droid, low light = no light. The resulting video is practically black.

Is there any resolution to this? Like a market place app? Will anything in Android 2.1 fix this? More settings?

I would pay for a market place app if it could let me adjust the light setting so I could take video and pictures in low light. Are developers evern capable of writing apps like that.

(I know you are thinking it.... but please don't tell me to turn the lights on)

Advertisement
  2. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

I've noticed that as well... I wish there was a fix. I was shocked the first time I experienced this. I thought I actually had a finger over the lens, but no... just black.

3. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Remember that the cameras equipped on phones are fixed iris lenses. That being said, how large the aperture is opened to allow light in to hit the sensor is a compromise made by considering several factors: depth of field (generally, casual users like everything to be pretty much in focus), types of conditions one might shoot the majority of pictures, and lastly, does the phone employ flash photography?

Since the DROID (like the N1 and other upper echelon phones) employ flashes (in the case of the DROID, dual LED), there are some compromises that need to be made to take decent flash photos as well as daytime (well-lit photos, which the majority of the photos are). Since phones like the iPhone do not have flash, the lens' aperture may accommodate low-light environments better. Add a snap-flash and it's likely an iPhone's picture will be washed out.

In that way, there is no "fix". But, if you want to shoot video from short distances, say 1-3 feet, I would recommend you download an app like MotoTorch in which you can enable the LED flash. Since Android allows multi-task, you can switch to the camera and shoot your videos. You're only limited by the range of the flash, which is probably about a meter or so.

4. Mhogan35

Mhogan35 Active Member

This is why I'm just going to get a Nikon D300s for video, hehe, so that I don't get disappointed by grainy dark footage. Then again, it's a cell phone, and I never intended on comparing quality of footage in low light situations with that of a modern DSLR... Would be nice though!
    --Matt

5. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

I just tried a quick vid using MotoFlash (hadnt heard of that app)... and it worked great! Yes, it was a short distance, but it was better than just blackness. Good to know it's there, just in case. Thanks for the tip!!:D

6. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

How about a recording app with either exposure compensation or gain boost? Surely the processor can handle this..

7. GorillaTheHutt

GorillaTheHutt Well-Known Member

8. nelcatjar

nelcatjar Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks Gorilla' I starred the issue.

Thanks Sooper' for the info abou the Droid lens specs.