"Video is not for streaming play. Would you like to download?"Support

Last Updated:

1. Bluesun_EVO

Bluesun_EVO Active Member This Topic's Starter

Jun 4, 2010
    Here's the basic rundown of what I'm trying to do. I have several videos (TV episodes of stuff) hosted through a web server on my local intranet. When trying to play with my Evo, I get this message. After downloading, the videos play fine...but I'd rather not have to wait for the download to finish every time (and I'm not entirely sure where they're kept at, or if they'll fill up my storage).

Additionally, I have a subfolder setup that's .htaccess protected. I'm unable to download or play any files from this folder from my phone. All of this worked from my iPhone, so I'm scratching my head a bit.

Another issue I'm having that someone may be able to shed some light on: Using Windows 7, I can't see to get my Evo to show up as a disk drive. Selecting "mount as disk drive" in my Evo seems to have no effect. I got it to work once by unplugging and plugging it back in several times (once), but it refuses to work now. Help?

2. simmons

simmons New Member

Jul 6, 2010
    With respect to this download vs. streaming message... Video files need to have particular characteristics before the EVO's player can stream them. I ran into this same problem on some H.264 .mp4 files that I created myself. However, I found that the free mp4box utility could alter the files to make them streamable with "mp4box -inter 1000 file.mp4".
  3. tardmobile

tardmobile Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010

I'm on Win 7 Pro x64 and I haven't had any problems accessing the phone as a disk drive (well, technically the SD card in the phone)
  4. r3dDaWn

r3dDaWn Active Member

Jun 13, 2010
    On the disk mount, take the card out of the phone and try to load it on your laptop manually, through an adapter, to make sure it's not the card having problems. If it doesn't work that way, go to another computer, try it there, just to verify it's not your system having issues reading the card. If the card won't read on either computer, you know it's the card, if it does read on both computer, put it back into the phone, reboot the phone, connect it again, choose disk drive, in windows if you don't see it, run disk manager, to verify it's not there, could be a drive letter issue, you'll know if you see it there..

As to streaming, the answer was posted, it's how the video is formatted, if you will, that will determine if it will steam to your evo.. I use Handbrake to convert any videos I want, load them on to my dropbox, then can stream any movies/video I want no matter where I am...