Video - .mp4 files

Last Updated:

1. baris3437

baris3437 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone,

I am developing an application called video summarization on android platform. In my application I need to decode .mp4 files. Unfortunately I couldn't handle it.
    With my research, I found that Opencv can make this easily. Although I can use other opencv functions with NDK, I can not use ffmpeg decoders.

Please give the way to open a .mp4 file and get its frame.

thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Well-Known Member

Read up on the internal structure of the MP4 file format. Essentially, all file formats are nothing but an arrangement of bytes plus a small padding of bytes called the header. If you know the internal structure of a particular format, then you should have no trouble streaming or even manipulating the file.

baris3437 likes this.
  3. baris3437

baris3437 Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you for your reply.
    .mp4 file format is so complicated. if I try to code in order to retrieve frames from file, this may be time consuming. Opencv has ready functions to solve this problem. unfortunately I cant use it.

4. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Well-Known Member

Complicated, yes, however if you create the class in a component-oriented nature, it can be reused over multiple projects, and one could even offer it to the community.

Another option would be to open up a GoogleCode project and create the API in an open source fashion, allowing others to aid in the creation of the API.