Video Playback - especially YouTube

Last Updated:

1. Grinder16

Grinder16 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone else find the play back have awful quality? especially for a higher end phone like this one. my playback has the lowest quality I have seen in a phone in a long time. Pre had much clearer resolution. Is there a player in the market that helps with higher resolution?

Advertisement
  2. NYVetteGuy

NYVetteGuy Well-Known Member

I have the same issue and question....it seems like the video playback of the Hero is dismal...maybe a market (or non market) app?? Anyone with insight???

3. Archon810

Archon810 Well-Known Member

The Youtube app actually has a switch to make the video play in higher resolution. Just click Menu and you'll see. It's actually quite stunning - both video and audio are excellent in high res.

This option is set to low quality if you're off wifi and high quality if you're on wifi, automatically.

Note that only the Youtube app itself has this feature. Apps like TuneWiki play low quality and it's up to them to make it better.

4. cij1916

cij1916 Well-Known Member

When I'm watching something on youtube, when I press menu, nothing happens.

5. Archon810

Archon810 Well-Known Member

That's due to the horrible and utter shit lag that the Hero exhibits half the time, when it's not sucking ass in some other way. Especially apparent when trying to play high quality Youtube.

6. DiNoise

DiNoise Member

I dont use youtube on Hero that often, but when I do I never have problems watching videos in High quality (menu > more > watch in higher quality) but I switch after pausing a video.

7. cij1916

So I need to pause it first...Cus the menu has NEVER came up for me while watching video lol.

8. lldsandsll

lldsandsll Well-Known Member

or you can just press the menu button. at first i was extremely disappointed in the video playback, and then i hit the menu button, and wala, the phone rules again. you wanna see a garbage phone? get a pre.

9. cij1916

If you noticed my posts, I stated nothing happens when I press menu while viewing a video...

10. dhinez

dhinez Well-Known Member

The high res option is only available for the actually YouTube native app. Like said before press menu while a video is playing then more and select high quality. If you are browsing the net and click on a video it uses the HTC Flash Player and this option is not available.

11. cij1916

So if someone posts a youtube link on facebook, and I click the link, that is the flash player and not youtube?

12. dhinez

dhinez Well-Known Member

That's correct.

13. ge0rgecz

ge0rgecz Member

Well, important question is ... how can i set youtube app as default player instead of that htc flash player ? .. i remember g1 plays linked youtube vieeos in youtube android player. It looks like that crap flash player from htc dont even know hw acceleration ... much slower and quallity is worse