• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Video Playback Issue

julie2928

Jun 15, 2010
I recently (last Friday) got my EVO and am loving it, however I've noticed that when I try to play a video through youtube, or click on a video in facebook, I get the error that says the video cannot be played. This even happens with videos that I uploaded to youtube with my EVO. Has anyone else seen this or know if there is a fix? Thanks!

Hmm, I just grabbed my Evo, loaded up facebook with the stock browser, full facebook site. Clicked on a video that someone posted, worked right away, smooth and everything. I had issues before with the browser closing, and found out why. This may be dumb, but make sure you have javascript enabled in the browser settings. I don't remember disabling javascript. But like I said, video works for me. I just now tried viewing a video using stock browser on the Youtube full desktop page, worked as well.

Upvote 0
Hmmm, I'm not sure what you mean by "certain sites", but if you are talking about "those kind" of site, no...I've tried it on Facebook, and also on my you tube app that came preinstalled. I uploaded a video of my daughter to you tube, but when I launch the app I can't play it back there...but I can play it if I go to gallery. Maybe it's a youtube issue since the fb videos all seem to link back there as well???

Upvote 0
YouTube has had all sorts of quirks reported here almost since day one.

It's really frustrating, I know.

If anyone wants to try this, here's the link mentioned earlier in this thread - http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/141369-how-fix-froyo.html

That might help if anyone has _another_ underlying problem (and you can't tell without x-ray vision) - but I wouldn't be terribly promising that I think I'm sure that would work for everyone with this problem.

I think the issue has to do with whatever sort of handshake-timing is required between YouTube and the world. I think that handshake-timing changed with 2.2, I think it changes by browser, I think it changes by where you are on the net (wifi or Sprint, both apply). (I say this based on my laptop experiences with YouTube.)

I also think it _might_ depend on whether or not your browser is set with plug-ins always on, or on demand. So, if using the stock browser, maybe try to change that setting and see how it works out for you, and kindly report back here if it makes a difference.

PS - Clear your browser cache. Always good advice when you have a YouTube issue, phone or desktop.

Upvote 0
...me too...

On 2.1 it was just the YouTube app. On 2.2 it is all streaming video whether on YouTube app or website or from any website on the stock brower, same error message as everyone else is getting.

I did clean browser cache as well as all cache and data from both the YouTube app and the HTC streaming media app. Turned off ATK as well and that seems to have helped but not 100%.

This definitely needs a fix/update. Video is too much of an impotant feature to not work consistently. It is embarrassing at times when trying to show off the phone. My gf has the same problem on here EVO as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones