Video playback of .avi and .wmvSupport

Last Updated:

1. reddog187

reddog187 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone, just a quick question about video playback. Do you have to convert everything to .3GP ?

I drop some movies onto the SD card and play them just fine. Then went back to play them it was REALLY choppy. Not exactly sure what is causing this. I would rather not covert everything to a different codec.

Thanks in advance :)

Advertisement
  2. krichek

krichek Well-Known Member

What were the bitrates on the videos? I made some VC1 advanced profile test encodes(WMV) upto 8Mbps that played flawlessly. Perhaps you were trying to play something that was encoded with a much higher bitrate or something.

3. thirteen113

thirteen113 Well-Known Member

Check out Rockplayer, plays ALOT of different formats. My HD avi's have no problem.

4. john_ecko

john_ecko Well-Known Member

I was able to get regular .avi's to play on the stock video player.

5. deme

deme Active Member

+1 on Rock player

6. Shuck14

Shuck14 Active Member

7. kishin14

kishin14 Well-Known Member

I posted a this in another post but it might be more appropriate here. I can get most avi and mp4 files to play back with rockplayer just fine but almost every file I play with Act 1 has sound sync issues. The sound is slightly, but noticeably delayed. Same with the stock player and Double Twist.

And I have a lot of trouble playing anything in HD. I have a bunch of 720p movie rips with 2-channel audio and they all play very, very choppy even with the battery performance set to the highest setting. This is true for every player I've tested.

My friend loaded some of these movies onto his droid x and they played just as choppy, so it's definitely not my phone. Is it possible that some of my apps are slowing down video playback performance?

8. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Pretty sure Rockplayer uses software decode, so that's why it's chugging. A 1GHz ARM can't really handle decoding a 720P video.

The GPU, on the other hand, should have no problem. So it all depends on what format you have it in. H.264 MP4's will be hardware decoded, and I have yet to run into any audio sync or frame dropping issues.

I use 'Cinema' for my MP4s.

gfsincere and kishin14 like this.
  9. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

I encoded a 720p .MKV episode of The Office to a H.264 854x480 .MP4 with handbrake. The video plays smooth but the audio lags behind by a second or so. I've tried several different video playing apps, and I've rebooted my phone. Am I missing something?

10. kishin14

kishin14 Well-Known Member

Out of all the players I've tried, rockplayer was the only player that maintained audio/video sync at all times. Every other player, mplayer, Act 1, double twist, stock and cinema all had issues with lag. Some, like Act 1, will be in sync if you play it straight through but as soon as you fast forward/rewind or skip to another section of the video you get lag. I hope rockplayer works for you, if you haven't already tried.

11. Theeulogy

Theeulogy Well-Known Member

I used the sync feature in WMP 12 to tranfer a wmv to the phone and it played with the stock media app beautifully.

12. Gareee

Gareee Well-Known Member

One of the problems playiong back hi def 720p video on the DX, is going to be the file size. Movies are usually 4 gig or more, and the max file size is only 2 gig.

You could chop up movies into parts, or maybe do tv shows, but that would be the limit of 720p videos.

Does the display even display in 720p video format? (Not an auto reduced display, but is it a true 720p hi def display?

If not, 720p mkv files would be overkill.

13. bobomatic

bobomatic Well-Known Member

ive done the same (drop into SD card) what ive noticed is that if i forward to far ahead its all jacked up..if i just let it run its fine.
    hers a pic of the info.. (i hope)

Attached Files:

14. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

Well, the audio/video stays in sync, but it drops frames compared to the stock video player.

15. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

Audio: aac [48000Hz@2ch]
    Video: h264 [854*480@945Kbps]
    File: mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2[178225KB]

16. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

No, which is why I converted it to the phone's native resolution (854x480). The video quality is fantastic, but the audio lags a bit. Or, when i use rockplayer, the frame rate isn't as good.

I'm going to try the WMP 12 Sync feature now.

Edit: WMP seems to simply transfer the video files to the SD card. I guess it doesn't do any kind of encoding.

Shouldn't it handle 720p though? After all, what good is the HDMI port if it can't output 720p.

17. Gareee

Gareee Well-Known Member

Maybe convert the videos to the exact same format as the cell phone camcorder files? Those are meant to be played on the hdmi port, but you do have to drop frames to get there.

18. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

I started playing with Handbrake and managed to output a file that looks good and doesn't lag behind when fast forwarding. It's MP4 which seems to play better than M4V.

Here's the settings I used:

Picture Tab
    Anamorphic: None
    Width: 854
    Height: 480

Video Tab
    Video Codec: MPEG-4
    Constant Quality: 90% QP4 (can also use ~1000kb avg bitrate)

Audio Tab
    Audio Codec: AAC
    Mixdown: Stereo
    Bitrate: 128

My file started out as a 720P rip of a The Office episode. MKV format, 560MB. After running it through Handbrake it's about 185MB. You can lower the constant quality to reduce the file size further, at 60% the file was around 90MB but the picture quality was lacking. I don't see any artifacts at 90% and the file size is still relatively small. A two hour movie would be about 1GB.

I hope this helps someone!

cam4mav likes this.