Video playback on android

Last Updated:

1. zombiehype

zombiehype New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everybody, i'm new to the forum. I never used an android phone before and i'm thinking to get myself a samung galaxy, but before that I'd like to know a couple of things concerning video playback on android. hope you can help!
    First of all, is there any way to play DIVX and XVID on an android phone WITHOUT converting? Do you need some particular paid application from the market or you can do it with the default player? How much this application would cost?
    Another question: lot of my movies are quite big in resolution (you know the normal size that you use for pc's). Is there any need of resizing the movie to let it play on an android phone?
    I used to have a samsung omnia (rip); winmo sucked badly but it can play any video at almost any resolution very smoothly with free players also.
    thanks for the answers!

Advertisement
  2. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

I'm also a recent arrival to the Android world and I wasn't able to find a program that would play DivX or XviD without conversion.

I find it weird. Given the huge demand for this, you would expect someone to have made it by now, at least a rudimentary version.

3. deadite66

deadite66 Well-Known Member

every player on the market is just a frontend to the built in player, corecodec the makers of coreplayer expressed interest in making an android version but weren't impressed with the features they said they needed in the ndk.

4. sukTHEfac

sukTHEfac Member

I have no idea how to explore my Videos folder...there's a native music player, but no video? is there an app that i should DL?

also, im assuming no app would support avi or other xvid, right?

5. troybal

troybal Active Member

To watch videos go to the "Gallery" application. Like you would to see your pictures.
    I placed a "Video" folder on my SD card and upload videos to that folder and the Droid found them no problems. It is funny that you have to go to the gallery to get to the videos.

6. deadite66

deadite66 Well-Known Member

7. Bxsteez

Bxsteez Active Member

That is disappointing.... This is another area android falls short. The best part of using winmo was i can take a video i just downloaded and drop it on the phone and it would play just fine (with coreplayer of course). I bought a viliv s5 so it doesn't hurt me too much anymore

8. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

This isn't a deal breaker for me, but I would REALLY like either native or app support for Xvid/Divx. I'm not big on taking time to convert things for a phone...As it stands, I'll only do it every so often. If they come out with an app to support xvid/divx then I will use it all the time (no conversion)...