Video recording format

Last Updated:

1. Vance

Vance Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have not taken a lot of video with my Droid (I have Flip for that), and what I do take, I just watch on the phone. But, I may eventually want to play this on my computer or on my TV using a streaming media device. My current device plays a LOT of formats, but I have not tried any of my Droid videos.

What format does the Droid capture video in? Is it the 3gp I have heard about? If so, I think that is one format I can't play where I want it. I heard that my wife's Incredible actually records in mp4, but then converts to 3gp, but there is something you can install which prevents that conversion and keeps it in mp4. Is there something like that for the Droid?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. cwcheese

cwcheese Well-Known Member

Don't know if this will help solve your problem of playing the videos, however, there is an open source app called VLC which can get at VideoLAN - VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player that will play 3gp files. Actually, I discovered VLC plays everything, even ISO files made from a DVD. It doesn't solve your conversion issue but it does allow you to play the videos on PCs.

3. Vance

Vance Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I use VLC for everything! It really is awesome, and I figured it would handle the format on my computer. But, I am worried about my other devices. I know I can use a converter and even do that in batches, but I am afraid of losing some quality, and I just don't want that hassle.